Chapter Twenty One

"Kyra..."

Kyra shut her eyes against Vihaan's voice as it beckoned her, in a failed attempt to shut her heart to him.

From her position on the bed, she heard his heavy footsteps as he made his way slowly to her. The last thing Kyra wanted to do was talk but she knew that was exactly what Vihaan had come for.

She felt him settle beside her on the bed, his hand coming to rest on her chin as he gently turned her face to him.

"Please, Kyra," He whispered. "Please forgive me."

Unable to look at him for the fear of him seeing the tears that struggled to break loose of the restraint she was desperately fighting to maintain, she shook her head and turned away.

"I shouldn't have done what I did."

Yet, you did. You hurt me, caring nothing about my feelings, my reputation, my trust! Her heart roared within her, yet her lips were unable to produce any sounds.

A part of Kyra wanted a reason for what he did, she wanted to find an explanation for his betrayal, she wanted to lay the blame at the feet of anyone -even herself- but the blame could only be laid at Vihaan's feet. And it was a thought that tore her apart daily. She couldn't trust him. How could she live with a man she couldn't trust?

"Divorce me, Vihaan." The words barely formed on her lips, shattering her heart as they filled the room.

"Don't ask me to do that, Kyra, you don't mean that."

Slowly, she pulled her eye lids open, her eyes coming to rest on Vihaan who was now on his knees before her, tears staining his face.

"I can't let you go." He shook his head.

"I'm not staying..."

"You are sick, Kyra! You almost died and seeing you on that Hospital bed..."

"I almost died because of you!" She half yelled.

She watched as her words hit their mark, leaving Vihaan with a pained look on his face. Shame washed over her. She shouldn't be hurting him because he hurt her, what she needed was to walk away with what was left of her life. Kyra knew she was in danger of another heart attack, having suffered one three days ago when she found out about Vihaan's infidelity.

But it wasn't Vihaan's infidelity that caused her heart attack; she was sick -coronary micro vascular disease- which explained the constant angina she experienced. It also put her at the risk of more heart attacks.

Something in Kyra just wanted to run off and live a secluded life where she'd have a semblance of peace until she'd die a lonely, secluded, death.

"I would never try to hurt you on purpose, Kyra, never!"

"If you mean that, you'd give me a divorce."

She watched in increased anger as he shook his head. Frustrated, she rose to her feet before him and slapped him. The sound of her hand as it made contact with his face filled the entire room.

Kyra knew that she had committed an abominable act. An act she was hoping would suffice for Vihaan to throw her out the door. But he didn't. He just knelt there, his entire face burning red.

Kyra was stuck in the world of men she knew would forever control her life -a father who not only killed her mother but shamelessly requested his daughter's inheritance, and husband whose infidelity had driven her to the brink of death and emotional madness and who lacked the decency to divorce her. Life had put her in a prison and sentenced her to continuous pain.

Tears blurred her vision. Why won't Vihaan just let her go?!

"Kyra," She felt his arms wrap around her waist, his head coming to rest on her stomach. Too weak to fight, she just stood stiffly in his embrace. "I deserve your hatred."

Her tears broke loose then, grief striping her of any self respect she thought she ever had. She was indeed weak, and Vihaan was her weakness. It didn't matter what he did, she lacked the ability to hate him.

"But don't close your heart completely to me." Taking a hold of her hand, he pressed his trembling lips to her knuckles. "Let me earn your love. Give me a chance to earn it." His warm breath tickled her skin.

What he didn't know was the fact that he didn't have to earn something he already had; he didn't have to earn her love when he practically owned her heart. It was unfortunately a fact she could do nothing to change.

*

Vihaan thought it best to move out of the room he shared with Kyra. He knew she only remained in his house because he wouldn't permit her to leave but he wasn't going to make her stay unbearable either. He was going to earn her forgiveness and hopefully, earn her love.

He took the last of his suitcase and was making his way to a guest bedroom when he bumped into his father in the hallway.

Kapoor's gaze traveled from Vihaan's heavy suitcase, to his face, confusion settling in Kapoor's eyes.

"Mind telling me what's going on here, Vihaan?"

"This is none of your business, Father." He answered simply, his fist balling tightly around his suitcase. Thankfully, his hands were full, denying him the opportunity to land a punch on his father's face.

"Did she kick you out of the bedroom?" Kapoor sounded mad. "No woman has such a right! Most definitely not Kyra! What you did with the prostitute was only natural of every man..."

Turning blazing red eyes to Kapoor, Vihaan swallowed twice to keep from yelling. "This is none of your business and I won't say this a third time, Father! Get out of my way!"

Vihaan shoved past him and made his way into the guest room. Placing the heavy suitcase on the floor, he turned just in time to see his father watching him. Without a word, he slammed the door in his father's face, wishing he could shut the old man out of his life forever.

Copyright © 2017 Lily Orevba All rights reserved.

*

A/N

I had a major family emergency that completely destabilized me, hence i couldn't post the chapter i promised last weekend, do forgive me.