4| WELCOME HOME, EM

A week had passed since Emmy had been emitted into the hospital in Terra Nova. She had been itching to leave and just see what it had to offer her, even if it only offered her a new life time of being looked at like she was a criminal. Despite knowing herself that that was far from what she really was. When she woke up, she was told by Malcolm that it was her last day, that she would finally be able to leave and go home. Home. It was something Emmy hadn't had in a very long time, and she was worried that she had forgotten what it felt like. But when Tanya came over, in her white lab coat and another mint-coloured drink in her hand for her to have before her body could handle the enzymes in the food, she could suddenly remember the exact feeling of a home.

"How'd you feel?" Tanya asked with a smile on her face as she handed over the drink.

"Better than I was back in Golad, that's for sure," Emmy answered as she brought the drink up to her lips, "just a shame that I still have to drink this stuff." She shrugged.

"Well, while your body is getting used to all of the new enzymes, and healing from the damage done to your lungs, you're just going to have to get used to it." Emmy gave her a small smile before she quickly drunk the drink in the cup, pulling a face at the taste of it. "Yeah, it's not that great." Tanya chuckled to herself.

Emmy could see Michael from across the room, behind Tanya. She placed the cup back down and watched as he walked over to the two of them, placing a hand on Tanya's shoulder. "How's our patient doing?" Michael grinned at Emmy. "You seem more lively than yesterday, that's a good sign." He nodded.

"I hope so." Emmy stood up from the bed and wiped her mouth with the sleeve of her shirt. "I just want to get out of here. I mean, it's great being so close to you all day, but..."

"You've been locked up long enough." Tanya nodded in understanding as she pulled Emmy into a hug, just happy that her younger sister was with her and still alive. When she pulled back Michael stepped forwards to press a soft kiss on the top of her head.

"Just be careful with those stitches, all right?" Michael gave her a pointed look, knowing that Emmy would end up getting herself in trouble otherwise. Emmy rolled her eyes and waved him off as he stepped back to go over to one of his patients.

Tanya linked her arm with Emmy's, resting her head on her shoulder. "He seems to be settling in well," Emmy commented as she watched Michael talk to the young boy who cut his leg.

"You'll have the same experience soon enough, Em," Tanya reassured her, squeezing her arm gently as she lifted her head up to see a frown on Emmy's face. "Hey, what's wrong?" She asked gently.

"The mark on my wrist is going to make that nearly impossible, Tan, especially as everyone here knows exactly what it means."

Tanya wasn't sure how to respond. How could she? Just forget the mark? Emmy tried that, but it just ended up staring her in the face, seemingly more noticeable than before. Emmy just wanted to go home, wherever that was. A sigh left her lips as Tanya helped her out of the hospital, showing her around Terra Nova. Everything was so bright and colourful, compared to 2146. Everything felt more alive. More connected. Tanya pointed out the market place in the middle of Terra Nova, just by the gates. The market stalls were all close together, and Emmy could see the blankets, tapestries, plants, fruits, vegetables, and small wooden bowls and plates placed on the tables.

"There are so many new foods that we didn't have back home, but we do here," Tanya nudged her side.

"This is our home, Tanya. 2141 was just a pit stop for us."

Tanya smiled. "Why 2141? Why not any date before that?"

"It was the last year we had together before everything went south." Emmy shrugged. "I don't count the years that we were apart as anything more than an inconvenience." She could see people weaving in and out of the stalls, chatting away to one another. She also couldn't help but notice that one of the tradesmen was throwing his arms up in annoyance at his wheelchair, Emmy motioned her head to him. "Who's he?"