Chapter Twenty Seven

---------------------

Dedication: A random selected reader who has commented a lot of times! Memoriesofyoux - thanks for being such a great supporter of the story! <3

Recap:

"I'll pick you up," he offered, looking back down at the ground, as if the pavement had become quite fascinating. I bit the inside of my cheek.

"Sounds great," I replied, attempting to appear nonchalant.

He nodded, before continuing. As I walk into the house, a huge smile danced on my lips.

That was an unexpected surprise.

---------------------

I have just shoved my feet into my hideous black leather shoes when I hear the familiar rumble of Hayden's ute.

Brushing my hair back, I step onto my porch, shutting the front door behind me. Although I dress casually going to and from swim practises, I still wear my school shoes, to save carrying another pair on my walk home.

As I slide into the car, my eyes land on Hayden. He is dressed in a tight, black Nike shirt and a pair of denim shorts. His hand is resting on the steering wheel, his other drumming the top of the gearstick softly.

"Morning," I chirp, giving him a broad grin.

"Surprised you're on time," he grumbles, hardly sparing me a glance.

Typical.

"Of course, it's competition day," I smirk.

"Someone's excited," he states dryly, clearly not sharing my enthusiasm.

"Duh."

He rolls his eyes. The short trip to school consisted of me mainly gushing about the competition and Hayden not responding. Once we arrive, I haul my bag with me and fall in step with him.

"Thanks for the lift."

He doesn't reply and I inwardly groan, feeling like a relationship with Hayden is an uphill battle.

"Today's the day," Coach booms once we are all dressed and lined up. Despite the sun coming out early today and blessing us with warmth, once inside the locker room in only a swimsuit, I was feeling the cool air around me. Wrapping my arms around myself, I shift from foot to foot, trying to keep the blood flowing in my body. "Are we ready?"

"Yes Coach," we murmur.

"I said, are we ready?" He asks again, much louder this time.

"Excellent. Let's get swimming!" he claps his hands together and we all shoot forward, eager to get out into the water.

"Ready?" Ashton asks me as I am the last one out of the door.

"You know me," I reply, glancing over my shoulder.

"Born ready, right?" he smirks.

I am quite surprised he was being this playful, considering our last discussion.

"You know it."

Jogging over to the pool, I mount the block and prepare myself. A shiver runs down my spine at the thought of jumping into the pool later today, with crowds cheering and other swimmers to compete with.

I can hardly contain my excitement.

Diving into the pool, I can't stop the smile from fighting its way onto my face.

I am ready to destroy these other swimmers.

***