thirteen: and baby makes three

Levi was a mini-Jeb. 

I stared at the little boy with mouth open. The pictures had not done justice to the resemblance. 

His grandmother, Mrs. Burgess, was sharp with us but I got the feeling she was just upset about losing Levi. She'd made a difficult decision and it was obvious she was in poor health.

Jeb carried Levi and I followed with the suitcase. Levi was very quiet but his eyes were taking in everything. 

Mrs. Burgess had given us a list of favorite foods and they included strawberries and hard-boiled eggs so once we got back to Jeb's house, I made a pretty eclectic lunch. I didn't bother with a plate, just put the food on the tray of the high chair. 

He ate two fisted, watching me carefully as he chewed. 

I bent down to make sure the plastic tarp was under the chair. When I lifted my head over the top of the tray, he smiled. 

My heart exploded.

This baby boy was beautiful

I was making us a grown-up lunch when I realized Levi had fallen asleep in the chair

Jeb shook his head, smiling at the egg stuck to Levi's cheeks. Then he gently carried Levi to his new room and put him down for a nap in his new crib.

I followed. 

"He's home," I whispered, looking at the little body curled up on the dinosaur sheets. 

Jeb turned and pulled me into a tight hug. I lifted my arms around his hard body and squeezed him back. 

We didn't say anything, just held on.

Then the timer on the stove went off. 

And his stomach grumbled. 

Laughing, I took the rest of the eggs out of the cold-water bath and began making egg salad sandwiches. I put out the chopped fruit and chips and we sat down to eat. 

"Can I ask you something?" I squinted. "Why are you single?"

"Well, technically I'm not," he lifted his eyebrows as if to remind me. "I've had girlfriends, just not right this second."

"Did you have one when you found out about Levi?"

Jeb's eyes turned dark. "Yeah, actually. She's an engineering student."

"What happened?"

"Kyra isn't ready to be a parent."

"Did you want her to be one?"

Jeb thought for a moment. "No, you're right. Let me rephrase that. Kyra wasn't ready for ME to be a parent."

"That sucks."