Chapter 40

Chapter 40

**

Smoke was coming out of the science lab room indicating that the lab caught fire. It was the only explanation. And then it clicked, Max had a class now.

My heart was beating fast as I ran towards the entrance. I was looking around to see Max, but couldn't find him.

"Where is Max?" I asked to the girl, who ran out from the room. Her eyes widen. She coughed at the smoke.

"I saw him fall unconscious." She muttered.

"And you left him there?" I yelled. I ran towards the room, but was pulled back by an arm around me. I turned to see Ryan holding me.

"You can't go in, Gwen." He pulled me back.

"Are you crazy?" I yelled at him. "Max is still inside."

"I know. The fire department is coming." He reasoned, regret in his eyes.

"But he might not have time till the fire department comes. Let me go." I screamed.

"Gwen, you can't go." It was Ashton. He came in front of me. Taking my face in his hands, he wiped the tears. "He will be fine."

"No, Ashton. One of the girls told me that he fell unconscious. Please. Let me go!" I sobbed, struggling to break free.

His face pained. He shook his head. "You can't go." I opened my mouth to say something, but he cut me off. "I'll go and get him."

"Ashton, you can't do that." Ryan warned, taking a step forward.

Ashton looked at me. "I'll do anything for her." He didn't wait for a reply and ran inside. I went limp in Ryan's arm. If anything happened to Ashton, I won't be able to forgive myself. He went in for me, to save my brother. But if anything happened to Max, it'll break me.

As Ashton went in, Tyler came running towards us. He looked at Ryan and then at me. "Everything is going to be fine."

I shook my head. "No, Tyler. Max is inside and Ashton went in too. They both might get hurt. What will I do without them?" I said as the tears rolled down my face.

"Shh. Everything will be fine." Ryan muttered in my ears as I sobbed in his chest.

"Is-is everyone else out?" I whimpered.

"Yeah." Ryan muttered. I let out a sigh of relief. At least the rest were okay.

I bit my lips waiting for Ashton and Max to come out. It was getting all black now with smoke. It was difficult to watch so we all had to take a step back. Smoke was still coming, and it was difficult to breathe.

"Everyone go home. The rest of the school is cancelled." I heard Uncle Ben yell. He came rushing towards us. "Where is Max?"

"Max is inside and Ashton went to help him." Ryan explained. The tears were running down my face. What's taking so long?

Soon we saw a figure emerging out of the lab. Ashton was carrying Max on his shoulder. He dropped him down.

"Max!" I ran to him as I saw him unconscious. I bend down towards him. His breathing was shallow, but it was there. "Call an ambulance."

"He's fine." Ashton coughed as bend down. "I checked once."

I nodded. Tears were still running down. Soon the fire department and the ambulance came. The fire was down and Max was being taken to the hospital. Uncle Ben went in the ambulance with Max while Ryan, Tyler and I were coming behind in our car. I told Ryan to go in his car with Tyler and that I'll be behind. He nodded hesitantly, but took off.