Chapter Twenty Two

Aditi pulled the last strand of Kyra's hair into the tight braid she was making. Even if she couldn't presently see the look on Kyra's face, everything in her knew that Kyra was lost again. It wasn't unusual to find Kyra in a sad mood, and while every training Aditi had gotten as a maid told her to be careful to mind her business, she couldn't help but be worried for Kyra.

Releasing the hold she had on Kyra's hair, she went to her knees before Kyra.

“Ma'am Kyra?” She called, breaking Kyra's line of thought and causing her gaze to rest on her.

Her face broke into a small smile that didn't reach her eyes. “Thank you, Aditi.”

“Let me know if you like it.” Aditi returned her smile and watched as Kyra's gaze lifted to the mirror before her.

“It's lovely.”

Aditi knew Kyra was lying. She knew this because Kyra barely looked at the hair, but simply offered the mirror a curtsey glance.

“Is something wrong, Ma'am?” Aditi finally worked up the courage to ask.

She watched Kyra struggle with whether or not to confide in her.

With a sigh, “Sometimes, life takes everything away from us and leaves us empty.” Kyra finally said.

“Life never leaves us empty, Ma'am. There's always something left. Small, and seemingly insignificant, but it's enough to start again.” Aditi took hold of Kyra's hands and gave them an encouraging squeeze. “My Maa always says if life's not giving, then you better be taking.”

Kyra forced a smile. “Your Mother's a smart woman, Aditi. But some...”

“Kyra?”

Kyra froze at the sound of the male voice behind them and as he approached, Aditi felt Kyra's hands tense in hers.

“Aditi, please excuse us.” Vihaan ordered.

Without a word, Aditi scrambled to her feet, but Kyra's grip on her kept her prisoner before her. She stood there for a few minutes, waiting for Kyra to release her.

“Ma'am?” Her eyes searched Kyra's, unsure of what was expected of her for it almost seemed to her that buried in Kyra's brown eyes, was a silent plea to remain, to disrespect the master's order to leave the room. But Aditi couldn't do that, thus she slowly pulled away, offering Kyra an encouraging smile, before turning around and leaving the room.

*

Sleep was a foreign word that meant nothing to Vihaan. Seven days! Seven days since he slept peacefully with the woman he loved by his side. Seven days since his world came crashing down. Seven days since Kyra looked at him with love and adoration. Now, she wouldn't even look at him. She sat before him, her head bowed, refusing to make eye contact. Seven days since the mistake he made came back to haunt him. And he knew it would always haunt him. He couldn't change the past. It didn't matter how desperately he wanted to change it, he couldn't. He was stuck with it. He couldn't right his wrong, he could only let it go and start again.

But Kyra...

Kyra was his present and his future. He couldn't let her go —he could never let her go.

“I want to show you something.” He said. She didn't lift her gaze to acknowledge him. Instead, her eyes rested on her hands that sat on her lap.

Pulling out something from his pocket, he placed it in her lap and knelt before her, taking the spot Aditi had vacated.

“Fifteen,” He began. “I was fifteen years old when my father announced his plans to have me wed. He gave me that picture,” He nodded toward the picture in her lap. “One glance at it and I remember thinking how pretty your smile was. I was so mad at myself for thinking you were pretty, I never looked at it again.”

He watched as a tear dropped from her eye and landed on the picture, soaking into it and leaving it wet.

“The rebellious part of me hated the idea of a forced marriage. That was the part of me that cheated that night.”

His voice trembled as the memory of that night bombarded his mind.

“But there was the part of me that kept the picture, folded up in a box. That was the part that was filled with so much shame for cheating, I ran home that day to try to wash it off by taking a shower.”

“I took that box everywhere with me, Kyra. I was afraid of looking at you again for fear that I'd fall in love. Then I met you.” He reached forward and took her hands in his. “All these months I thought I might not have married the woman I loved but at least I fell in love with the woman I married.”

Kyra began sobbing where she sat before him, the picture in her lap soaking wet from her tears.

“I was wrong, Kyra, I didn't fall in love with the woman I married, I married the woman I love for I've always loved you even when I didn't want to.”

He watched as she slowly lifted her head, her gaze coming to rest on him as she searched his eyes. Regret washed over him at the look of utter hurt and pain in her eyes.

“I'm sorry.” He whispered.

It was all he could say —he was wrong and he was sorry. He couldn't change it but he was sorry. He loved her and he was sorry.

Kyra nodded her head before leaning forward, her head coming to rest on his chest. He wrapped his arms around her and pulled her into his embrace.

“I forgive you, Vihaan” She whispered, and those words were enough to rebuild his broken down world.

*

“Know what this is, Kapoor?”

Kapoor stared at the powerful business mogul who showed up unannounced in his office and was now seated comfortably, watching him with a condescending gaze.

“I believe that's a marriage certificate.” Kapoor said, the words barely making their way out of his lips before he was interrupted by a loud sound.

Jerking his head up, he watched as the man rose to his feet and began pacing.

“Wrong! This is the worst mistake of my life,” He stopped in his tracks and turned to Kapoor. “A mistake you will help me correct.”

Confused, Kapoor just sat there. He didn't exactly know where this conversation was going and he longed for it to come to an end quickly because he had more pressing business to attend to.

“Forgive my confusion...”

“You will get your son to end his marriage to my daughter.”

Copyright © 2017 Lily Orevba All rights reserved.