5| RECRUITMENT

When Emmy woke up the next day, a smile rose on her face, she turned to lay on her back and she stared at the blue ceiling and white fabric sheets that hung with it. It was all still so new to her, but she wouldn't get tired of seeing it every day, it was better than what she was used to. She sat up and rubbed her eyes, from the other room she could hear Tanya and Michael talking to one another while moving plates and cutlery around. Emmy pushed her legs over the side of the bed and leaned forward, yawning to herself, before she stood up and stretched. She slowly walked out of her room and out towards the kitchen area. Michael was sitting on the bar stool at the kitchen island reading, while Tanya was leaning against the countertop drinking something warm, with the steam rising up from the rim of the white cup.

"How'd you sleep?" Tanya asked softly.

Emmy sat down by Michael. "The best sleep I've had in years." She nodded. "What time is it?" Emmy rubbed the sleep from her eyes.

"Early," Michael answered, putting down the book from his hands on the table. "So, I'd better head off to work. I'll see you both later." Michael kissed the top of Emmy's head and waved goodbye to Tanya before he picked up his jacket and left through the front door.

"He's been here a week and he's already obsessed with working." Emmy laughed while shaking her head.

"I'm surprised he didn't want to stick around and watch you eat your first piece of real food since you arrived."

Emmy's head snapped over to Tanya. Tanya had a small smirk on her face as she sipped her drink. "Wait, so you mean—?"

"Yeah."

"No more prehistoric smoothies?"

"No more prehistoric smoothies." Tanya nodded.

"But I thought you said—?"

"I lied."

"But you're a terrible liar!" Emmy exclaimed, staring at Tanya in shock.

Tanya grinned and slid a plate over to Emmy. "I've had time to practice." She shrugged. "Perks of being a virologist."

Emmy grinned and looked down at the white, square plate. There was a pink fruit cut in half, the outside had small spikes with green tips that pointed up like flames, while the inside had a white fruit with tiny black seeds. There was an odd brown, squared shape piece of bread with some green spread. There was a small white, circular pot of purple and red berries with strange yellow banana shaped nuts, with an orange stripe going from one end to another on one side. Tanya also slid over a glass of orange juice with a spoon for the fruit. Emmy's stomach growled as she picked up the piece of bread and took a bite. She never realised how much she had missed solid foods until the moment her tongue tasted the fresh food.

"When you're done, go and get dressed, Commander Taylor asked if he could speak with you," Tanya commented as Emmy paused and looked up at her. "I'm sure it's nothing too bad. I know for a fact he won't be locking you up again," she reassured her younger sister before walking around the table to place a hand on Emmy's shoulder.

"What if he goes back on his word?" Emmy swallowed.

Tanya just shook her head.

"What if he does?"

"I've told him that you'll be of use to the colony. He won't let a mechanic slip from his fingers if he wants this place to thrive."

Emmy nodded as Tanya walked away to sit on one of the small sofas to finish off her drink. When Emmy looked back down to the plate, she suddenly didn't feel as hungry as she once did before. But her lack of appetite didn't stop her from finishing off the food and orange juice, she knew her body would thank her later for actually feeding it something good for once. She put her dishes in the sink and walked back to her room to get clothes before she made her way towards the bathroom to shower and brush her teeth. She closed the door and placed her clothes and towels on the counter by the sink.