Chapter Two

Safaa

I passed Baba and Kawu Sunusi noiselessly trying my best to act as if I didn't see them because my Baba will scold me for staying out late.

"Is that not Safara'u?" Kawu Sunusi asked much to my chagrin.

"Ke Safaa(Hey! Safaa)" My father called out.

I answered and walked to them with my head hung low.

"Ina yini Kawu(Good evening Uncle)" I said crouching down. 

"Safaa is that a way to greet, ko iyashege ne kikeji dashi? (Or you're just acting disrespectful?)" My father roared.

Trembling I sat on the floor to greet the mighty tycoon,Sunusi Abdulfatah.My father always have that effect on me,his words can make me stop whatever I'm doing.

"You're done with your studies right?" Kawu Sunusi asked coldly.

Can't Baba see how this man is acting like a king or something...I thought before nodding in affirmative.

"Secondary school" I grumbled under my breath.

"Then what are you waiting for? Don't you have suitors?"

"Actually Yaya I don't want her to get married yet,Until she's settled in school and there are no suitors yet,I would've known if there's any" My father answered.

"You mean you want to keep exploiting my money,she's a girl,she's only useful in the house not in offices" He said without caring whether his words hurt my father or me.

"Haba Yaya,how can you say that? She has goals and aspirations"

"Goals?" He snickered.

"I want to become a very educated lady Kawu" I beamed.

"You don't have to be well educated Safaa"

"Why Uncle? Everyone has the right to be well educated" I retorted.

"Safaa I didn't ask of your opinion,go inside,we will talk about why you stayed late outside later" My father said dismissing me.

I had the urge to punch Kawu Sunusi despite the fact that he's my uncle.He should be thankful I respect him so much.I flung my Hijab upon entering my Mama's room seething with anger.

"Safaa fada ne kikayi da Aisha'n?(Safaa you had a fight with Aisha?)" My mother asked seeing the way my nose keeps flaring.

"No I met Baba's precious elder brother" I replied sarcastically.

"And then what?"

"He got on my nerves as always" I mumbled.

"Well he's your Uncle,kunfi kusa(you're close to him)"

"Sun fi kusa da Baba dai Mama(He's close to my Baba not me),can you imagine what he just told me?"

"Safara'u" My father spat.

His long rosary made me shiver,I don't want to make a mistake of allowing it to touch me this night.

"Na'am Ba...ba" I stuttered moving to Mama's back.

"What did I tell you about staying late outside? I've told you to leave wherever you are and come back home before Magrib" He barked after sitting.

"I....."

"Maa help me" I whispered.

"She's sorry please calm down" My darling mother said trying to calm my father.