The One With an Uncertain Surprise

Chapter 21 The One With an Uncertain Surprise

Hermione was still in a bit of a daze when she arrived at Gryffindor Tower. The common room was filled with students from various years, but there were no signs of Harry and Ron. She made her way across the room and up the stairs to the girl's dormitories. It was empty inside so she walked over to her bed and tucked the Magic Book away, inside her trunk. She decided to wait with it until she had read the diary. So instead of tucking away the diary as well, she put it in her school bag, where she knew no one would take it.

When that was done, she walked downstairs again, just as Harry and Ron walked in through the portrait hole. They were soaking wet and looked like they had been swimming in a pool of orange glitter. She waited for them at the stairs and watched as they tried to discreetly make their across the room.

"Nice touch, Weasley, matches your hair perfectly." Someone shouted at them.

"You too, Potter. When's the big date?" She heard someone else call.

"Oh, shut it will you?" Ron finally gave in. "We didn't do this on purpose, it was Peeves. He's standing guard outside the entrance to the boy's bathroom on the fourth floor, if you want to know."

They eventually made it to the stairs where Hermione waited, but not without having to endure a few more taunts and jeers.

"Where have you been?" Ron asked not so kindly, when they stood in front of her.

"None of you concern, Ronald." She said with a stiff voice and walked back up the stairs, towards the boy's dormitories. "But if you must know," She said when she'd sat down on Harry's bed. "I went to see Marcus before he left." Ron gave her a glare which she pointedly ignored.

"Why?" He asked her with a slightly dark tone. "I didn't know you two were friends."

"I can be friends with whomever I want." She said and made a face of utter disbelief. "Who are you to tell me who I can and can't be friends with?"

"I never said you couldn't be friends," He responded. "I just didn't know you to two were close enough to spend time alone with each other."

"Well we are, so get used to it." She always got angry when he acted like this. If he wanted to date her why didn't he just ask, instead of getting jealous of every guy she talked to?

"How was he?" Harry asked. She knew he did it to change the subject but she didn't mind.

"He was good. He was in a bit of rush but he seemed excited to see his mum again." It was a lie but they didn't need to know that. She realise that it was going to be a common re-occurrence and she wasn't sure how she felt about it yet. She had never lied to Harry and Ron before. Not like this.

"Did he say where she lived?" Harry asked.

"No." She shook her head. He never told her where he was going and she just hoped it wouldn't be anywhere dangerous. Even though he was the Merlin, she still worried about him.

----------------------

"Hello, Merlin. I've been waiting a long time to see you again."

Merlin recognised that voice. He hadn't heard if for over a millennia but he could never forget it. He turned around slowly so he could look out over the lake, and there, a few metres out, knee deep in the water, she stood. Looking as beautiful as the day she died.

"Freya!" He called and took of his boots. He waddled out into the lake until the water reached his waist. Finally there, he took one last big step forward and engulfed her in a bone crushing hug.