fourteen: my husband is out with another woman

I drove myself to the University early that Saturday morning. I had to be there at 7:30 for my graduation ceremony starting at 9AM. 

Five years had passed in a blink. A Bachelors of Fine Arts and a teacher's certificate. So much hard work and yet if felt like I'd just arrived with Katie, laughing as we'd dragged my stuff up to that first freshman dorm room and crying as she'd left for the airport. 

She wouldn't be there. No one was coming. I tried not to dwell on that. I'd earned this moment with every late night, every project, every hour of internship.  

I slipped the stuff I needed in my pockets then I pulled the gown on, the gold cord over that. I pinned the cap in place with bobby pins using the rearview mirror. Fresh lipstick. 

Showtime. 

The auditorium was full by 8:30. The crowd buzz was overwhelming. It was all so surreal. 

As I stepped up and handed my card to the reader and then crossed over the stage as I heard my name: Alicia St Georges. Posed for two pictures. Sat back down. 

I did it. Finish line. 

Then I felt my phone chirp. And again. And then again a few minutes later. 

You know, under my gown... in the pocket of my sundress. 

The whole ceremony lasted just under 2 and a half hours. As as it ended,  I dug out my phone and checked my  texts. 

A congratulations from Katie. Another from my dad. 

And then...a picture of me? Onstage? From Jeb?

*way to rock the big black dress*

I turned around and looked up at the audience. Left, right, scanning. OhMyGod. OhMyGOD! Is he here? 

*straight ahead*

There he was, standing just outside the graduate area with Levi in his arms.

I ran to them. 

"How did you even....?"

I never thought to invite them. Paper marriage, traumatized toddler?

But there they were.

I kissed Levi and felt Jeb's arm snake around my shoulders in a half hug. I fought back tears. 

"It wasn't a state secret," he whispered in my ear. "Congratulations."

I buried my face against his chest. "Thank you."

He squeezed me again and then we headed outside. 

We managed to step in behind Naomi and her parents. I'd met them a couple of times when we'd lived together. 

She looked back at us over her shoulder, her eyes widening at the sight of Levi. Then she mouthed "bitch" and turned away.

Jeb raised his eyebrows at me and I shrugged. 

The house looked like we'd been living with monkeys. No time for celebrations - as Levi slept, Jeb and I cleaned and finished organizing all the stuff - much still in boxes or Target bags. I unpacked a few of my things and we put the rest in the storage room behind the carport. 

Jeb grabbed a glass of ice water and downed it in a couple of gulps. "I think we're ready."

"Yep," I agreed, grabbing one for myself. 

We got out the paperwork and I made notes: Gayle's schedule, security and passwords and the paperwork. We synced our contact phone numbers. I'd bought some picture frames and tucked in photos from our wedding and of Levi and the rest of the family. It was the last touch.