36.

Dillon's POV:

Wow. That was the first thing I thought when I saw Amaya. When she swung open the door with her perfect smile plastered on her face, her hair flowing down her back instead of pulled tightly up into a ponytail, and as her eyes concentrated on me I nearly had a heart attack.

It'd been so long since I'd seen her and boy had she changed. I'm sure her kind personality had remained, but her looks sure did improve. I had always liked Amaya, but her unsociability and awkwardness had drove me away.

And right into the first girl who gave me a chance. Her cousin, Gloria.

I know it was wrong, and coming here with the same girl I used to screw Amaya over probably wasn't the best way to say sorry. Probably wasn't a good way to try and win her back either, but it's not like I knew this was going to be Amaya's house. Gloria only told me it was her aunt's house.

At least I wore my good cologne today.

"Well that's so great." Amaya said with a grin so tight I was afraid she was going to burst.

"Yeah. It really is, isn't it, cuz?" Gloria asked in a pitchy voice as she rang her red claw-like fingernails over my chest.

"You bet ya." Amaya said as her smile slid off her face and opened the door to give us more room to walk in. "Come on in. Food's almost ready."

We walked in and Gloria didn't give me two seconds before she had her lips on mine. I didn't even have time to kiss back since I was totally unexpecting it and I didn't really want to kiss her back.

She smacked her lips as soon as she took them off me and turned with a hand on her hip to her cousin. "Isn't just great to see Dillon again, Amaya?"

"Oh. Just lovely." She said sarcastically making me wince a little bit.

I know I hurt her, and that I can't ever take back what I did, but I'm definitely going to try to make it up to her. Because I don't want to lose Amaya for a second time.

It didn't take long for the house to fill with tons of people I didn't know.

Gloria was constantly introducing me to people as her "boyfriend," but I don't remember agreeing to that or even having that conversation. I just let her have her way so there was none of her outbursts or a reason for her to cause a scene.

But most of the time I my eyes glued to Amaya's every move. Her helping her mom prepare food, her entertaining the kids with silly faces, or her smiling down at a cute little dog as it was excitedly running around greeting people in its own way of nuzzling at their feet.

Amaya was perfect and it was my intention to make her mine. I didn't care what forces would stand in my way. I was gonna get Amaya to like me again, and hopefully that little like would turn into love.

Dinner was about to be served and I was just getting up my courage to talk to Amaya. Gloria had left me alone to go to freshen up quickly before dinner and Amaya was gazing out the window all by herself, and  I saw it as my opportunity.

I was striding over to Amaya and when I finally was close enough to talk to her I cleared my throat, checked my breath, brushed a quick hand through my hair and prepared myself.

"Amaya?" I asked loud enough for her to hear me.

She turned around and as soon as she saw it was me a smile lit up her face. That's always a good sign right?