Chapter 10

"May misses you a lot America. You must come and visit," my dad was saying. We were eating take out food in my room. Just bonding you know. It was fun.

"I can't dad. I'm very busy with classes. There is just no time. I'm trying, I swear." I walked over to the small calendar in the corner of my room. I had a week off for Easter. I don't have plans there. Yet.

"You must come to the palace then. There's some royal Dignitary event. May and your mother will be there. It would be great for you to attend," my dad was explaining. "It's a banquet I believe. It will be held outside and there will be an egg hunt for the Children. And it'd be great if I could introduce you to my co-workers, and...."

I walked over to my wardrobe and pulled out a spring dress that would work for the occasion. I turned towards my father and put the dress up against my body. "How does this work?"

"Oh America. You'll look beautiful in that. So you will come?" He asked.

I nodded and smiled. "Of course daddy." I discarded the dress on the floor and went to hug him. "I love you dad."

"You too kitten."

~oOo~

I was enjoying a nice walk outside. It was late and it was slightly chilly, but the stars were twinkling and it was a beautiful night. I was thinking. My dad had Jeff earlier today and I missed him dearly. I was thinking Of other things to. Specifically a certain blonde haired prince.

He hasn't asked me out yet. I swore that he would a long time ago, but yet I'm walking alone right now. Is he un sure about how I feel because I honestly thought that I was honestly desperate.

I heard footsteps behind me and i turned around. I couldn't make out the shape of the person, but I definitely didn't know him. I heard a snapping sound behind me and quickly twirled In the other direction. There were a couple guys zeroing in on me. I couldn't fight them like I did Maxon. I didn't know there fighting strategies. I also couldn't take them all on my own.

"What do you want!" I called out to the empty silence.

"W-weeeeee w-w-w!" One person slurred, obviously drunk.

"Step back!" I yelled into the empty silence, but even I heard my voice shake.

"You're pretty," another drunk slurred.

I shivered at the terrible sound his throat was producing. I slipped my heel off. It was the closest thing I had to a weapon. One came up behind me and tried to wrap his arm around my shoulder, but missed and Wrapped it around my neck.

I dropped my high heel. This is one move I did know. I swiftly grabbed his arm and propelled him over my back. He landed on the floor in front of me. I looked around in fright. I definitely could not do that again.

I saw a bright flash of lights and I covered my eyes. It was car headlights. They shut off and the car door opened. I did recognize who stepped out. It was Maxon! I ran into his open arms. He wrapped an arm around my waist.

"Call off your dogs," Maxon called.

They all looks up. "Oh look it's the prince. Heard you were in town boy."

I tugged on his arm. "Come on Maxon. Get in the car."

"YEAH Princey. Go run to daddy!" Another snarled.

Maxon pulled out his phone and pressed a quick number. It rang for all of a second before someone picked up. Maxon spoke quietly into the phone. "I need some guards at the west corner alley. Stat. These vile creatures are to be arrested immediately for the attack of a royal. Not me. Future princess of Carolina, lady America. Yes I'll talk to my father. Goodbye."

One guy was coming at us now. He looked so confident in his superiority over us. I raked my brain for anything I could do to take him out quickly. I was not very good at offense. I was much better at avoiding there attacks than putting my own in to action.

I turned towards Maxon. "Give me a boost." I placed his hands on my hips and he seemed to get it.

The guy cane into view and Maxon lifted me in the air. I hit his chin with the heel of my shoe and the momentum sent him flying back. Maxon set me down and I turned to him with wide eyes. I can't believe I just did that.

The stress was starting to get to me. I was almost attacked by a bunch of guys. I had taken one, technically two of them down. I...I....I can't do this right now. I took a step towards the car and stumbled. Maxon ran to support my side.

Maxon ushered us into the car quickly and started if up. He looked so angry. "Maxon calm down."

"Are you hurt?" He asked tensely.

"I'm fine Maxon. I swear. Just a bit shaken. Thank you for saving me."

When maxons car pulled into the academy's, Delancy was waiting outside. She rushed to open my door and she pulled me into a hug. She pulled back and examined me.

"Oh your alright," she cried out. "I got a call from the palace guard saying that you were attacked in some alley. What were you doing out so late?"

She looked so relieved I hugged her again. "Maxon saved me. He called the guard. You must be my closest emergency contact."

Maxon cleared his throat. Delancy looked up and took on a reading smiled "well look it's the dashing knight who swooped in on his trusted steed," she patted the cars hood teasingly ," and saved the damsel in distress. I commend you on your job well done."

Delancy giggled and straightened his suit jacket. "And while in a suit, no less," she laughed.

I smiled tiredly at there conversational banter, but I'd rather be asleep in my bed. I can not handle this all. This is stressful and I need sleep at this late hour. Maxon seemed to notice this and ran up to me.

"I'll take her up to her room," Maxon tins Delancy. "Go back to bed."

She nodded and walked away.

I was so tired that I could barely keep my eyes open. They were heavy with sleep. Before I knew it I was being scooped up in ones arms. I nuzzled into maxons chest and sighed contently.

Before I knew it I was being set on my warm bed. Maxon covered me in my blanket and went to leave. No. I wasn't ready to be alone. This was a pretty traumatic situation. I wasn't going to shut down and wallow in my own pity like some people, but he didn't know that.

I grabbed his wrist. He turned towards me. "Stay," I croaked.

His eyes widened.

"Just until i fall asleep. I don't want to be alone," I said quietly.

He nodded and sat down beside me on the bed. I snuggled into my pillow and closed my eyes.

"Goodnight Maxon," I whispered.

"Goodnight America."