Prologue

Prologue

Staring at the metal chains that had been cuffed to her wrists for days without no end, she quietly tugged against them. Over the days, she had managed to loosen them without being caught by the goons that kept walking by. She was determined to get out of this place today. Nothing was going to stop her from escaping. Or that's what she thought. She had been too distracted by escaping from her chains that she didn't notice the large shadow looming over her until she was pulled up by the strands of her dirty mingled hair.

"What are you doing, you rat?!" The large beefy man growled while pulling her close to his face as she scrunched her nose up in disgust. She had learned over the past few days that these goons were not people who bathed themselves or cared about others. It was either their way or no way. She learned that the hard way. "Do you hear me talking to you?!" He shouted while shaking her violently as a whimper escaped her lips. She was too tired and too hungry to try and fight back but she wasn't going to let that stop her from escaping this hell hole. With as much strength as she could muster, she quickly smashed her fists into his face as he dropped her while spewing out cuss words. She quickly took that moment to grab the keys off of him before unlocking her cell just as he had gotten up. Being quick on her feet, she quickly exited the cell before slamming it shut behind her as the goon growled and yelled at her, but his anger fell on deaf ears as she unlocked her chains before quietly taking off down the dungeon like hallway. The farther she ran, the louder it became as the screams of the beings in the cells mixed in with the feet of the men chasing her. She wasn't going to get caught because getting caught meant death.

Shaking her head, she finally found a door that was oozing the smell of freedom behind it. Without a second thought, she pulled it open before dashing into the darkness of the night as the men were still chasing after her. She hadn't felt this bad before. She was beaten, bruised and starving but her other side kept telling her to run. The smooth voice in her head pushed her on as she quickly shifted into a wolf, running on all fours as her pursuers kept up with her. She didn't know what was going to happen to her, but she was scared to find out. She was scared that she'd either get caught or die soon.

None of those are predictable at this moment. She thought as she heard the whistling before she felt the pain in her hind leg. She had been shot and wounded but she wasn't going to let that stop her. Quickly putting all the pressure on her other legs, she ran with all her might, wounded and tired. She could feel the form loosening beneath her but she fought hard against her other side because she wasn't ready to turn back into a human.

Just a little further and I'll be free. She told herself as she kept pushing every muscle in her body until her legs gave out beneath her. This was probably the end for her because her future was unpredictable. It always was. She thought as she closed her eyes, letting the darkness consume her.

[~~~]

Quietly sniffing the air, the leader turned to his scouts as they all nodded at him, prepared for the silent orders that their leader was going to give out. As he raced off into the woods, his scouts followed him without a second thought. To them this might have been training, but to him, this was the way of recruitment. He had done this training exercise for so long that he had gotten used to training the newbies. They were no longer afraid of him. Or they were too good at hiding it.

Racing through the forest with about twelve men behind him was a guy who was as tall as a doorway and dark as the night sky, personality wise. As he came closer to the rose bushes that were planted to mark the way, he stopped in his steps as he smelled the fresh blood.

"You four, scout the area like you've been trained to." He ordered as the four individuals took off in all different directions while the others awaited his command. Quietly pushing pass the bushes, he stared down at the creature that laid before him. They found a wolf just beyond the red roses bleeding out to her very death. The wolf was small for her size with blood coating her light gray fur. She was beautiful, but she was also dying. Quickly turning back towards the other scouts, the leader watched them all quietly. "Go tell the Doctor to get a bed ready for a wolf. Have him finish it before I get there." He stated as a few of the scouts ran off while the remaining attempted to help their leader with the wounded wolf but he only growled at them before running off after the other scouts.

Who knew that such a small wolf could have a dramatic turn of events? This question only made the leader even more curious than what he was before, but he'd have to wait until she woke to get the answers.

\\\\\\\///////

I know it's a little bumpy but I'm just now getting back into writing in this genre so there will be mistakes.

Also, I know the wolf isn't lying in roses, but this is what I imagined when I was writing.

Any who, please enjoy! ~

Andrea