33

This morning was not a good one. I woke up late for school which meant I missed workouts. Harry is going to kill me. Apparently, it was third period because it said it on my late pass. I sigh, walking down the hall until I seen Harry turn the corner. He had his eyes on the folder he was holding then glances up.

"Eversteen," he sighs, smirking down at his folder. "Nice of you to join everyone else at school."

"Harry, I'm so sorry I missed workouts. I-" I stop my explanation and continue to walk with him. "Why am I the one apologizing?"

"What?"

"You said you were going to pick me up last night." I remind him. "I was lef-"

"Something came up." he shrugs.

"No calls back or texts?" I nudge him softly, but he ignores it and keeps his focus on whatever he was reading. "Well guess who was there?" I say and he just shrugs. "Zayn."

Harry's eyes shoot away from the folder to me. His eyes were wide and he stops me from walking.

"What'd he do? Did he hurt you? Are you okay?" he questions and I laugh.

"Thanks for the concern, but Zayn is actually trying to change back to himself. The sweet guy-"

"That you fell in love with." Harry finishes my sentence and I hesitantly nod. "So what? He's changing to get you back or something?"

I shrug. "He never said that specifically, but-"

"I don't want you around him, Rylee." Harry interrupts.

"What?" I frown. "The last I remember, you didn't want to be involved in my love life even though you had the chance to change that last night, but that thing that came up must've been more important."

"Rylee, he's an alcoholic. Anything can trigger him." he says then sighs. "I'm just not comfortable about the fact that he's around you."

"You're not my boyfriend, so how about you stop acting like it." I snap. "It was actually nice to have him with me last night. He's really changing,"

Harry doesn't say anything, so I walk away. I make it to my class, but it was about to end. The bell rings and someone catches my eye. I race to them and stop them.

"Hey, what happened last night?"

"Rylee, I don't feel like being your charity case right now." Will tells me. "I was honestly doing good without friends, so you don't have to pretend now."

"Pretend?" I frown. "Will, I'm not-"

"Hey," someone pops up. "Can we talk real quick?"

"I-I have to go to class," Will stutters, putting his head down. "Bye."

"No Will, wait." it was too late. He had already turned into a different hall.

"I have to get to class too." I breathe out, walking past Brennen.

"I'll walk you to class then." Brennen walks next to me. "I just want to apologize for last night," he says lowly. "I was out of line and hurt I guess because I really like you. I've gotten to know you enough as a friend and I think you should give us a chance."

"Bren-"

"I don't want to force you." he interrupts. "Now that I know that's pushing it too far for you, but one date. If you say yes then I got quite the plan."

"Look, I like you– as a friend. You'll always be a friend to me and I hope you understand that." I tell him honestly. "But last night was way over the line. Will is not t-"