Chapter 18: Escape

Astryd's hope started to dwindle as days turned into weeks. Tom would periodically check up on her, but he didn't come often for fear of suspicion. He only came often enough to give her some half decent food he scavenged in the mess hall and to make sure her health was improving. It was evident that an escape plan at sea wouldn't work if Astryd couldn't even walk out the cell door, so they waited patiently for the opportune moment.

But as the weeks dragged on, Astryd was gaining her strength back. On days when she was feeling especially stubborn, she would try to walk a full circle around the room, using the wall for support. Thanks to Tom's makeshift splint, her ankle didn't shift and move too much, and she could limp around the room, though still with some pain. Nonetheless, she spent her days improving, slowly but surely.

The only other thing that Astryd had to fill her time was listening to her neighbor's unending insults. The words spat at her from across the room soon became numb to her ears, and she tired of listening anymore. It was when the former boatswain began threatening to expose Tom that Astryd scoffed.

"And what are you going to do about it?" Astryd snapped. She held her arms tightly across her chest as she rested her back against the hull of the ship with her legs stretched out in front of her. She was currently taking a break from walking. "Tom's somehow managed to gain the privateer's trust, or what little there is to gain. What makes you think anyone will believe you?"

The gruff man had one arm hovering over his head while it rested on the iron bars separating his and Astryd's cell. He often stood near the bars when throwing insults. No doubt he seemed to think he looked more intimidating that way, but a dog trying to be vicious without it's teeth just looked ridiculous.

"Just you wait," the man snarled, "they may not believe me now, but the right time will come."

Astryd noticed that he had been talking in more riddles lately. She decided he must have lost his marbles weeks ago.

"Your responses are becoming more vague, old man. It seems your bark has lost its bite."

"Why you little—"

"Astryd," Tom called in a hushed tone.

Astryd lazily turned her head from the grumpy old man to face the cell door that Tom was unlocking.

"Any news?" she asked nonchalantly.

Tom flashed one of his signature grins. He leaned close enough to Astryd and lowered his voice so that the man across the room could not eavesdrop. "James is hosting a feast tonight in 'is quarters for all the rankin' officers in celebratin' their return to Esterbell with you."

Realization slowly dawned on Astryd. "So that means..."

"They'll all be distracted! The boatswain, the quartermaster, everyone!" Tom was practically giddy with excitement. "All the mates and riggers will be busy playin' games in the mess hall after supper. It'll be the perfect time!"

"Keep your voice down, Tom!" Astryd exclaimed, but she couldn't resist the smirk growing on her face. "So this is it."

"Tonight, we'll be out of 'ere."

For the remainder of the day, Astryd couldn't care less what obscene things the former boatswain threw her way. Her mood couldn't be dampened by such crude comments. Instead, she kept walking and kept pacing now more than ever because now she had hope to fill her thoughts and motivate her exercises.

Tom only had the chance to smuggle her food once that day, but Astryd didn't care. She was anxious and ready to move. Ready to run. The adrenaline building up inside her was enough to keep her going.