Chapter 19: Competent and Female

Yup, there was a globe on the hood of Penn's car.

It was a little too early to tell who had dropped the globe on his car but odds are that it had something to do with some preteen prancing around in orange spandex with a big red "HH" on the front. I can't say I'm too familiar with that one, he must be rather new to the scene. I take that back, of course he's new, he looks like a freshman in high school or something.

Something shot forward above us, sending waves of air down the streets of the city. Craning my neck, I noticed an older woman towering over the quaking would-be villain. She was tall, brown hair cascading down her back, unaffected by the wind that swept around them. Her costume was rather simple, a white and black spandex suit though she remained capeless.

Smart choice.

That was the Rain Maker, one of the older and more classic of Belhurst's heroes. I appreciate how efficient she is, although a lot of people complain that she doesn't have a catchy slogan nor does she sling out zingy one-liners. As if that is part of her diminishes the fact that she just saved a crud ton of people's lives.

She was one of the few female heroes without a skirt, pants were more practical for flying and fit better with her weather themed powers. The Rain Maker wasn't as over the top as some of the other big heroes which I admired, she was also one of the few females who managed to make it big as well. That's pretty amazing and startling.

In the meantime, Penn and I had rushed out of the car. Penn had gone to assess the damage to his car. It was a beat-up clunker, but Penn had saved for so long to afford even that, it was his most prized possession.

I took the opportunity to capture the scene, Penn looking at the globe on the hood of his car with the two Supers unfocused, but still recognizable in the background. Perfect.

Noticing how distraught Penn looked, I rushed to the front of the car to join him, knowing that he needed a little support at the moment.

The Bureau of Superhero Affairs would most likely reimburse Penn for the damage that was done to his car, but it definitely stung at the moment.

I wrapped an arm around his waist and his head fell to my shoulder. The globe had gone almost completely through the hood of his car, the engine had to have been completely crushed. That meant we were effectively stranded in the middle of the damn city with all the Supers flying around meaning no cab would touch us with a ten-foot pole.

"Penn," There was nothing else we could do but get the hell out of here. "How about you call your parents and the Bureau of Superhero Affairs and your insurance company? I'll see who I can get ahold of to come pick us up, okay?"

He nodded slowly, his eyes never straying too far from the car as he walked away to find a quieter place.

I pulled my cell phone out of my pocket but, before I could call anyone, someone behind me began speaking, "I'm sorry about your boyfriend's car."

The wind whipped up behind me, and I found The Rain Maker casually leaning against Penn's car. She looked even older up close, not that that is a bad thing. I had expected her to be in her early thirties which is pretty old for a superhero, but I now I placed her in her late forties.

"Hi..." I was unable to form words for a few moments, but eventually I realized what she had asked, "Oh, um yes. It sucks right now, that car was our way out of the city, but I'm sure I can find someone else to pick us up. Penn is calling the Bureau of Superhero Affairs right now so I doubt we'll be responsible for the damage." Wait a second, did she call Penn... "He's not my boyfriend."

"Uh huh?" She didn't seem to buy it. She stopped suddenly and turned back to look at me, "You're the girl Spitfire keeps saving, right?"

Seriously?