Chapter 13: Exposed

The train started to roll away from District 1. I stared out the window, hand on the glass, trying to hold back my tears. I can still see Drea and Cane. They're staring at the train, too far away to see me in the window. Cane pressed his fingers to his lips and held up three fingers. Drea did the same. I kissed my three fingers and pressed them to the window. 

"I love you," I whispered.

When the train started to go full speed, I lost sight of Drea and Cane. I slumped into my seat and stared out the window. I don't know when I'll see them again. Or if I'll ever see them again. I may die before I get the chance. And even if I do manage to win the games, which feels really unlikely, I doubt I'd see them again. Luke's intentions for the Hunger Games was to punish Ivan and I for what we did. It seems to me that Luke won't let me win and go back to my family. That would be getting off too easy. 

As I stared out the window, I felt someone sit beside me on the couch. I continued to stare out the window. I didn't look to see who it would be. After a few moments, the person sitting beside me cleared their throat. I sighed and glanced over. To my surprise, it was Ni, not Ivan or Raven, sitting next to me. 

"Hello," I said coldly, turning my eyes back to the window. 

"Hey."

Silence washed over us. 

"Who were those people you were talking to?" Ni asked. 

"You saw that?" 

"Yeah, I did. How do you know those two people? They live in District 1 and I didn't recognize them. So I don't know how you could know them." 

"My mom's Willow Undersee," I replied. "I didn't live the typical childhood of a girl from District 12." 

"That doesn't mean you have close relations with people from District 1." 

"Well I do." 

Ni placed a hand on my shoulder. I shrugged his hand off. He reached his hand for me again, this time placing it on the cheek facing away from him. He pushed my face in his direction, forcing me to look at him. When we made eye contact, he didn't move his hand away. He kept it placed on my face as he stared at me with his blue eyes. 

"Were those your family members?" Ni asked. 

I stared at him, swallowing. Ni dropped his hand.

"I'm not stupid. I know that your family was captive in District 13. I know that they ran away. It makes sense for it to be them. District 1 is a perfect place for people to hide. And the way you hugged them, I would say that they're more than your standard friends." 

I looked back out the window, unwilling to discuss the subject. 

"I'll take that as a yes," Ni said. "It's okay. You don't have to talk about it. Just... Please look at me. I'm trying to mend things between us." 

I looked back over to Ni. "Why? Why do you feel the need to mend things?" 

"Because I don't want to go into the Games with me mad at you, or you mad at me, or any other awkwardness. When we go into the Games, I want us to be friends."

"So that we can kill each other?" 

"So that neither of us will have the heart to kill each other first," Ni replied. "Are things okay with us?" 

"Yes," I snapped in reply, standing up. "Things are fine." 

I was about to walk away when Ni stood up as well. "You say one thing, but your voice says another. Sit down. Let's just talk. We can get to know each other better."