Blue Opal

Blue Opal

Remus was laying on the bed upstairs in the Shrieking Shack, alone, and staring at the wall they had covered with photographs and notes over the last three years. He felt less lonely looking at it, and though his breath came out labored and his back was about as stiff as anything had ever been, he felt comforted by the memories contained in the photos of himself and his three best friends... the best friends a man could have, he thought.

Downstairs, he heard the trapdoor bang open, and he smiled. There they are, he thought thankfully.

The stairs creaked and Remus could hear their voices arguing in the stairwell and the corridor as they approached.

" -- and as far as I'm concerned, the old codger can suck my dick before I'll actually attend any of his bloody detentions! Every evening 'til the end of term, the man's mental if he thinks I'm going to show up for that!" Sirius's voice was angry.

"Well not showing up's only going to lead to more detentions," James said.

"More detentions for me not to show up for!" Siris replied.

"Why in hell can't McGonagall be back yet? She'd set it right in no time!" James declared.

"Min-Min is the Queen," Sirius said, "She'd fucking flatten this dillweed like he was nothing." Sirius pushed open the door of the bedroom and slouched through, his boots hanging by the laces from his hand, walking in his thick-stockinged feet. He looked up and spotted Remus's eyes staring at the door expectantly. "Hey you're awake!" Sirius smiled, "I would've thought you'd been asleep. Took my shoes off so I wasn't banging up the stairs, too."

"The boots aren't what makes you loud, you dingus," James said with a snort, "It's your pie-hole."

"My pie-hole could go for some pie about now, actually," Sirius said, slinging his boots and a bag he carried down by the desk, then he frolicked across the room and onto the bed beside Remus. Remus winced as the mattress moved beneath Sirius, who curled around him and snuggled his face against the back of Remus's head as he brought his arms around Remus's sides. "My Moony," he murmured into Remus's hair, "I've arrived."

Remus put his hand on Sirius's forearm and he smiled tremulously as Sirius pressed his mouth to the warm spot beneath Remus's hairline on the back of his neck.

"What happened with Professor Gaunt?" Remus asked, "I heard you on the stairs," he added with James looked up with an expression that clearly said he was thinking up something to say.

"He's an arsehole is what he is," Sirius answered.

James sighed, "He gave us all detention for the foreseeable future."

"None of which I am going to attend," Sirius said.

"Currently skipping the first one now, we are," James agreed with a chuckle.

"We're badasses," Sirius declared.

"Truly," agreed James, grinning.

Remus looked sicker than he already did. "What'd you guys do? James, you said you lot would be careful 'round him! Are you mad? Getting detentions with him? If my theory about him doing the imperius is true then --"

"Wait, what?" Sirius sat up.

Remus closed his eyes, hating himself for the words coming out.

"Gaunt? Doing the imperius?" Sirius demanded. "On who?"