infidelity

and to be fair, it wasn't really cheating because we never really dated. but that does not mean that we were nothing, of that i am certain.

for a while i thought perhaps that i was reading too closely between the cursive lines and that i was making constellations out of dust,

but that is not true.

we were something. not a definition, not a label, not a box you could check. we were fresh flowers just watered to welcome spring, gentle guitar strings plucked as an introduction, and soft grey-blue waves before they really formed.

you and i were two drinks in on an unrelenting night that had only just begun. we had had enough to feel alive and reckless and dance without fear. but the stars had barely twinkled, and the moon had barely shone before you dragged the sun into the now-scorching sky and set it ablaze.

we died too soon to see what living was like.

and even though we were not concrete or definitive or solid, that does not mean that it did not hurt. we were fluid, in a way i loved, in a way that made me feel special, in a way that you drained out in the sink thoughtlessly. without looking back.

i wish you would've sipped a little longer before deciding you didn't like it. i wish you would've thought twice before picking another poison.

"did she make your heart beat faster than i could?"