Chapter Six - An Unwanted Experiment

Jonathan managed to make it out of the Courthouse doors, leaving toxin billowing out in clouds behind him, and down about three back alleys before the toxin really began to hit Coraline.

He was so bent on getting away that he didn't notice her condition until her wrist slipped from his grip when she collapsed to the ground.

"Coraline? Coraline, hey, hey, it's alright, come on..." Jonathan wrapped his arms around her, trying to coax her to stand, but was merely met with a heeled boot to the stomach which caused him to stumble back into the wall of the alley.

"Okay... I guess I deserved that for doing this in the first place..." He mumbled to himself before Coraline let out a piercing scream that caused Jonathan to flinch.

Darting over to her, he grabbed her from behind, putting his hand over her mouth and using his height as leverage to secure his hold on her, before beginning to back down the alley with her.

He was nervous, he'd never traveled with someone under the influence of toxin, usually he simply knocked his test subjects out first before attempting to get away with them.

But Coraline wasn't reacting well and he knew that if she kept up the noise she as making they would get caught.

"Coraline, please, just shush, you need to be quiet if we're going to get away. Okay?" Jonathan spoke in a hushed voice, he felt Coraline's lips moving wildly under his hand and her eyes darted back and forth, filled with something akin to mania.

Jonathan slowly moved his hand away, listening for a moment, and when Coraline made no other sound besides her staggered breathing, he scooped her up into his arms and turned.

It took longer than usual, feeling like forever to Jonathan before they reached the entrance to one of his hideouts, the closest one to the courthouse.

He managed to get the door open and hauled Coraline inside, shutting and pushing the locks to seal it, before he turned and walked upstairs, entering his bedroom and setting Coraline down on the bed.

Brushing her hair out of her face, Jonathan sighed softly before climbing to his feet and making his way quickly downstairs into his lab.

After a few minutes of searching, he came to the realization that, having not used this hideout for a while, there was no toxins or antidotes around, and knowing that it would take too long to manufacture one, he decided Coraline would just have to wait it out.

Jonathan felt honestly terrible, and set to work wetting a clothe with cold water with a frown on his face, before turning and heading back upstairs.

He found Coraline sitting up on the bed, face buried in her knees and arms wrapped around herself. Jonathan sighed softly, sitting down behind her.

Grabbing her wrist when she attempted to swing back and hit him, Jonathan pulled her back and pinned her arms to her sides, wrapping one arm around her to keep them in place before using the other to press the cool washcloth to her heated forehead.

Jonathan sighed softly, pulling her back against his chest and resting his chin on the top of her head, trying his best to comfort her.

"I'm so sorry, Coraline... it was the only way I knew how to get us out of there... I just wanted to make sure we weren't separated again... I didn't think before I..."

He sighed, shaking his head and holding her trembling form closer to him, rocking back and forth slightly in an attempt to calm her.

The two of them sat in silence for a while, before exhaustion overtook the younger of the two and she passed out, her breathing slowing and her body ceasing in its trembling.

Jonathan sighed, releasing his grip on her and lowering her onto the bed. He stooped down to check her heartbeat, timing it to the discarded wristwatch that was placed on the bedside table.

When he was satisfied that she was going to be fine, he grabbed the long discarded clothe and went to ring it out and put it away, before he grabbed his notebook and settled down, sitting on the bed beside her.

He began working away, writing out the short observations he had made during Coraline's hallucinations, though there weren't many as she had only mumbled during the whole ordeal.

Jonathan knew he'd most likely have to help her to speak once again, as those wretched men had most likely forbidden it in their presence for the fourteen years they held her captive.

His hands shook slightly at the thought of those two men, before he smiled slightly in excitement as his mind began to wander to the horror he could inflict upon them.

Turning to look down at Coraline, he was startled to see her staring up at him with wide, tear filled blue eyes.

Jonathan tutted slightly, setting his book aside and helping Coraline up, allowing her to cling to him while he enveloped her in a comforting hug.

"I'm so sorry, Coraline. I didn't think before I did that, it was an unwanted experiment, I assure you. I'd never do anything to hurt you. I'm sorry you had to go through that."

She nodded her head softly against his shirt, seemingly not wanting to talk about it.

"If you're feeling up to it, we can get a move on. I came to this place because I couldn't take you very far in your... state. I have a better place with more room, including a spare room for you to make your own. Would you like that?"

Coraline looked up at her older brother with a soft smile, nodding her head as his hand brushed away some of the tears that were trailing down her cheek.

"Alright, come on, it's a bit of a walk but we'll be fine." He informed her, climbing off the bed and helping her to her feet.

She nodded softly in response, her hand wrapping around his as he gathered what little he was taking and led her from the hideout and out into the streets of Gotham City.