Chapter 11

"Hello," I reply with a lack of sincerity, meeting William's dark eyes.

He slightly nods his head and strides over to the nearest armchair and sits down, keeping his gaze firmly on me.

Charles relieves the awkward atmosphere created by Caroline and William by showing me the guest room I'll be staying in. I follow him up the grand staircase and can't help but feel excited when I take in the lavish room. There is a large four poster bed in the centre, with a wardrobe on the left side and a desk and chair on the right. There are various paintings on the walls and a window seat offering a view of the scenic countryside, complete with an ensuite bathroom.

"If you need anything just ask, dinner is usually around 6 but I'll let you know. Your welcome to join us or feel free to roam about anywhere you wish," he says.

"Thank you," I turn around to smile at him before he exits the room.

I let out a sigh I didn't realise I was holding in as I run my hand through my hair. It occurs to me that I don't have the basic essentials I will need for an overnight stay, such as a toothbrush and pyjamas.

However, my queries are answered when I find a brand new pair of ladies luxury pyjamas in the wardrobe, which are far too big but will do. After rummaging through the cabinets in the bathroom, I to my relief find a brand new toothbrush, toothpaste and facial products.

After checking on Jane, curiosity leads me to wander around. I almost squeal in excitement as I open a door which reveals a library, and hours have passed before I am disturbed from the story I am engulfed in.

"Dinner will be served in five minutes in the dining room," Charles delivers, resting against the side of the door.

"Ok," I half yawn, disorientated from reading for so long.

I quickly return to my ensuite bathroom to freshen myself up and rearrange my hair into a half up, half down style. Once satisfied, I peek in on a sleeping Jane before going downstairs.

I enter the dining room and politely pause facing the table, waiting to be appointed to a seat.

"Oh Eliza, sit next to me, I must talk to you," gushes Caroline, extending her arm out to me. Her behaviour is so fake that I find it hard not to mock her, but bite my tongue obediently.

Once I take my seat I am bombarded with questions from her, to which I frequently earn sympathetic looks from Charles. William stares straight ahead, ignoring us.

"Where do you study," she asks at a later stage, continuing to neglect her meal to turn around in her seat and watch me. I answer her in between eating, glancing back and forth at her.

"I study English Lit at university in Hertfordshire," I respond.

"Ah, Hertfordshire," she repeats, the tone of her voice echoing the look of disapproval on her face.

"I study at Cambridge University, so do Charles and William. But don't worry, I'm sure studying in Hertfordshire is not as bad as I've been told."

"Maybe you shouldn't believe everything people tell you," I propose.

Charles laughs before Caroline turns around and glares at him, causing him to stop. I steal a glance at William, who I can tell is also unimpressed with me.

In order to interrogate me further and as a means to repair her damaged ego, Caroline turns to face William.

"I'm sure William would agree with me when I say that the most knowledgeable people attend the best universities," she remarks.

"Quite," he claims, cutting into his meat. "Anyone could calculate that."

"And perhaps some of the most small minded people too," I boldly suggest. I tried to hold it in but failed. However, when I take in the priceless expressions on both their faces, I feel triumphant.

"Excuse me," I direct at Charles, standing up from my chair. "Give my compliments to the chef," I add and turn around, ignoring the frequent whispers behind me.