Chapter Eight

Suzanna had planned to keep the news of her engagement to herself for a few days - mostly to come to terms with the idea herself. She had been doing a marvellous job, but as soon as she had seen Rose she could not help but blurt out the engagement. Rose was, after all, her closest friend. Rose had been surprised but thrilled and insisted on having a picnic with Suzanna the next day.

It was with that memory in mind that Suzanna woke up to. She rolled out of bed and let her lady-in-waiting prepare her for the day. The picnic was not until lunchtime, so Suzanna had some time to spare. She knew exactly what she wanted to do.

Suzanna had promised Duke Wilson that they would go riding later that evening. She would hold to her promise, but she desperately wanted to find Samuel first. She had not seen or spoken to him since the day she had asked for his help finding out about the Duke's interest in the village. Half of her hoped that the fact that Samuel had not sought her out meant that there had been nothing to find.

The other half hoped that there was a good reason for why the Duke of Adryrwen had gone down there and lied about it to her.

With that thought, Suzanna marched out of her room eagerly, only pausing briefly at the kitchens to ask for some food she could eat while walking. A servant brought out one of Suzanna's warmest cloaks and helped fasten it across her shoulders.

Suzanna stepped outside and inhaled deeply. The crisp winter air was her favourite smell - it was like no other scent in the world. It was chilly outside but not icy, a fact for which she was grateful.

She stepped lightly down the cobbled steps of the castle and made her way to the stables. She could waste all her time walking around trying to find Samuel - the quickest method would be to ask the stableboys. They seemed to know everything. Suzanna smiled wryly. Much like the servants, the stableboys always seemed to know the latest news and all the deepest secrets of the nobility and guests that stayed at the castle. How they do it, I will never know, Suzanna thought to herself as she shook her head and grinned.

She entered the stables and looked around. It was early, but already the stableboys and stable-master were hard at work feeding and checking the horses. They stood at attention when Suzanna entered, bowing and politely muttering their greetings.

"Can I help you, Your Highness?" The stable-master was the first to speak, well accustomed in his older age to being in the presence of royalty.

"I am looking for the Captain of the Guard - Samuel," Suzanna answered, referring to Samuel's official title. Tristan had wasted no time promoting Samuel, his oldest friend, when he had been crowned.

"I am sorry, Your Majesty. I do not know where he is," the stable-master replied humbly.

"He is in a meeting with the King," a stableboy piped in, averting his eyes shyly when Suzanna looked at him. Suzanna could not help but smile - the stableboys truly did know everything.

"I did not realize. Do you know when he will be finished talking to my brother?"

"No, my lady," the stableboy replied innocently. Suzanna looked at him dubiously, unafraid to show her humour. The boy glanced at her again and blushed slightly. "Noon, Your Majesty," he admitted. Suzanna giggled and bent down so she could stand at his height.

"I do not know how you do it, but I shall remember you whenever I need help," she told him, beaming. The boy grinned back at her and gave a short bow.

Suzanna left the stables still smiling. Her grin faded, however, when she realised that Samuel was busy and would not be able to talk to her. She could always find the room Tristan and Samuel were in and hope that she would be permitted to enter, but she did not think it would be likely. Suzanna sighed and meandered slowly towards a nearby paddock. It was the home to some sheep and their joyful, lively lambs. She watched as the animals ran through the paddock and laughed as a farmer tried to catch one lamb who did not want to be examined.