16. Sarah

Chapter 16: Sarah

Mika

The doorbell just had to wake up Sam, didn't it? He only went to sleep a little while ago. Maybe I should tell Allen to put a sign next to the doorbell saying not to ring it because there's a baby sleeping. I just didn't know if he'd like that idea or not.

By the time I had Sam calmed down and attached to my hip - because he refused to let go of me to get back in the crib - only a minute or so had passed, so I went to go see who was at the door.

Their voices reached me before I saw them, so I stopped just around the corner from the front entry-way to listen. "You can't just demand things like this," Allen was saying, obviously angry. "Not after what you did."

"But he's my son, Allen," a woman's voice said. "I needed you to watch him for a little while, but now I'm back."

Sarah. It had to be. But why was she here?

"That letter you wrote said you wouldn't be back again." There was a pause before he continued. "Which means you don't get to see him."

Sam chose that moment to yank on my ear lobe as hard as he could. I tried to stay quiet in my pain, considering I was only a few feet away from the woman Allen didn't want seeing his son. Sam, on the other hand, had no idea we were hiding and burst out into a fit of giggles.

Sarah had been saying something that I couldn't catch, but stopped talking as soon as Sam laughed. "That's him, isn't it, Allen? My precious little baby boy. Where is he?"

She apparently didn't wait for Allen to answer her, because in the next second, she was standing in front of me, looking shocked that I was there. I must have been mirroring her shock, startled by her sudden appearance.

"Who are you?" she asked me, her shocked expression becoming a glare. "And why are you holding my son?"

She reached for Sam, but I took a step back. I didn't like the vibe I was getting from her. The stringy blonde hair and dark circles under her crazy-looking eyes didn't help her any either. And if Allen didn't want her seeing him, I definitely wasn't going to let her take him from me.

Allen stepped in before I could answer, which was probably a good thing. "Sarah, you should leave."

She turned, slowly. "Allen, dear-" I cringed. She didn't notice. "-just let me explain. Please."

I saw Allen look over at me, as if asking for my opinion. I shrugged. I couldn't tell him that he needed to kick her out, even though she was crazy and I was wondering why he ever loved her in the first place. But he was in love with her at one point. They used to have that connection, and I had no say in whether he talks to her now or not.

He sighed. "Fine. Go sit in the living room. I'll be right there."

Sarah took a few seconds before she actually walked away from us. When she did, Allen looked at me. "I'm sorry about this. I never expected to see her again."

Of course he didn't. Who would have thought she's come back, after dumping Sam off like he was nothing to her? But I sort of liked that she came back, wanting to know her son. Maybe she didn't start out the right way, and coming at Sam like that was kinda scary and somewhat crazy, but she wanted to know her son. My parents never bothered to find me. She was doing slightly better than them. I had to give her credit for that.

"Can you put him back in his crib?" Allen asked me when I hadn't said anything. "I don't want him around her, yet. But I want you there, for this. I need her to know that I moved on, and that I'm in love with you, now. Maybe she'll stay in Sam's life from now on, but you're the one I want to be with, which means you should be part of this conversation. Because you're Sam's father too."