Chapter Ten

Persephone didn't wake when people took her in the night. They moved her to a holding cell where she would be questioned. She was dreaming about a future with Credence. It was amazing, everything she ever wanted. And because he was born of magic parents, there was nothing wrong with it.
-
Persephone sighed as she got home from work, her sister had her act as a no-maj to get information and it was tiring. She was excited to get home to Credence and her daughter, Arabella. She was beautiful, having her mother's hair and her father's eyes.
She opened the door to their apartment and was greeted with a small, auburn-haired girl running toward her. Persephone grinned and picked up her young daughter.
"Hello, my darling. How are you?" she asked and kissed her rosy cheeks.
"It was so fun, mama! Daddy and I played all day!" she said excitedly.
The young woman smiled and put her daughter down, following her into the parlor where her husband was writing away.
Credence had devoted himself to writing poems and novels. They were mostly fantasy, delving into mystical and fictional worlds. There were amazing, or at least Persephone thought so.
She walked over to her husband and leaned over, kissing him on the cheek.
"Hello, sweetheart. How was work?" he asked her and looked up.
She smiled fondly and nodded, "Wonderful, as always."
She hung up her coat and walked into the bedroom, changing into something a little more comfortable. She walked out, taking out her wand, and started to cook up dinner. Credence got up from his chair and walked behind her, wrapping his arms around her waist.
"I'm better today," he said and placed his chin on her shoulder. "I only drank two cups," he said a bit proudly.
Persephone smiled slightly, though she felt bad. Her husband had turned to drinking in order to flush out the abuse that he had gone through.
"That is wonderful, darling," she said softly and put their finished dinner on the table with a flick of the wrist.
-
Oh, how perfect Persephone's dream was. But, it hardly lasted. Persephone quickly woke to see that she was in the MCUSA jail cells. She jumped up and ran up to the bars, gripping them tightly.
"Teenie! Queenie! Where are you guys?" she yelled out, pulling on the bars as if they would bend and let her free.
"They're not coming for you. Tina is being questioned at the moment," Percival Graves said as he stepped out of the shadows and into the light.
Persephone had always thought he was handsome, but also had a feeling that he liked her eldest sister.
"Why is Tina being questioned, she didn't have any part in this?" she asked and frowned, hoping and praying that it would only be her who would be persecuted.
"She allowed this to continue. And as her job as an auror, she's supposed to put a stop to this," he explained and looked to the floor sadly.
"Please, try and defend my sister. She had nothing to do with this," Persephone begged and gripped the gray bars tightly.
He nodded, "We'll see," he said and walked back into the darkness.
Persephone sighed and shook her head, walking back and sitting on the provided bed. She was so worried, she didn't want to die. And yet, Persephone knew the laws that they had to abide by. She broke them so simply, without a thought in the world. But, she did it for love. And she would die for it as well.
-
A few hours later, Persephone was taken for questioning. Percival Graves himself was going to do it.
The girl was taken, in cuffs, to the cold and metallic room that she was to be interrogated in. She was sat down on the silver chair and was faced with Graves, his steely expression clearly defined by his silver locks.
"Persephone Goldstein, why did you commit treason by using magic on a no-maj?" he asked her so simply.
She looked him in the eye and clenched her jaw, "To protect my friend."
The tall man raised his eyebrows and leaned back in his chair, "Your friend?" he mused.
Persephone nodded and bit her lip.
"Was he only your friend? You two seemed very close when we found you two in bed?"
Persephone blushed and bit her lip, "We're together," she mumbled.
He nodded, "I thought so."
She perked up, "But I did it to protect him, he was going to get beat by his mother!"
Percival was quiet for a moment and nodded, "That's all I need," he looked up to the guards, "take her back."
Persephone sighed and nodded, silently praying that she wouldn't be killed. They brought her back to the cold and bad smelling cell, leaving her to wallow away in her deep thoughts.
Persephone laid on the bed, falling asleep.
-
She was woken up by the lock on her jail cell being unlocked. There stood a guard and Graves with a stern look.
"You're to be released, but know it is because of a big sacrifice," he muttered and left the guard to take her out.
Persephone frowned as she was walked out to the lobby. The guard released her and she stood there for a moment until she saw her older sister sobbing. Persephone ran over and frowned, hugging her tightly.
"Tina, what's wrong?" she asked anxiously.
Tina sniffled and hugged her sister, "I'm not an auror anymore," she mumbled and cried into Persephone's shoulder.
Persephone gasped and bit her lip, "I'm so sorry, Teenie," she said sadly.
Tina shook her head, "I'm doing the same thing as Queenie, and they're erasing the memories of all the New Salemers."
Persephone was frozen. That meant Credence would not know who she was. That meant she could not talk to him and love him. Her heart was broken and she did not know what to do.
The two girls walked home, tears on their cheeks. They were both sad and did not know what to do anymore. Their lives were torn apart. Queenie knew exactly what happened the second they walked through the door, and she pulled them in for a group hug.
But, Persephone could not stop thinking about Credence.

-

A/N: So sorry the update was late but it was my birthday this past weekend and I didn't want to stress. Hope you like the chapter, and if you do please vote! Also, follow and share. Thanks so much. <3 The Small Teaspoon