The Danger Comes (Thirteen)

Dedicated to @SheSeesStars, because her recent inquiry concerning this story inspired me to get my butt in gear, and finish/post this chapter ;-)

Sporting a smile filled with relief, Annie reached out to briefly squeeze one of the officer's upper arms. "Thank you so much."

The blonde returned that smile. "No problem. So, I know I'm escorting you and Mr. Lowell later, but you really don't want any of this pizza? It's a delicious meat lovers."

"Although that does sound good, we wouldn't want to risk ruining our appetite. Hey..." Her smile broadened. "You want a plate for your food and a beverage to wash it down with? I've been told my raspberry tea is out of this world."

The woman who referred to herself as Officer Clara Romano chuckled. "I'd appreciate both. Thank you, Mrs. Lowell."

"No problem. I'll be right back." Leaving the door open, Annie turned, briskly walking, her destination the kitchen. A gasp escaped her lips several steps later when she felt a strong body press against her back, an arm quickly wrapped around her neck. Something small and sharp piercing the right side of her neck, within seconds, her limbs turned to jelly, eyelids slowly shutting as unconsciousness crept upon her. The last thing she heard before slumping in the faux officer's arms was a whispered 'sweet dreams, Annie'.

<3 <3 <3 <3 <3

Upon awakening, she had to rapidly blink in order to make the blurry double images merge into one, which was clear. What she witnessed caused her to wish that this was merely a nightmare. Her husband lay on the kitchen floor near the sink dressed in only his boxer shorts. On his stomach, his arms were behind his back, duct tape wrapped around his wrists. Duct tape had also been secured around his ankles, along with a strip covering his mouth. Lucid, he gazed toward his spouse, the fear evident in his eyes.

"Michael," she softly called, trying to get up, yet immediately realizing that she was unable to. Unlike her husband, she was duct tape free, however, for some reason, Annie's arms and legs refused to cooperate. Evidently, whatever that woman plunged into her neck had rendered her paralyzed. Operating her eyes and mouth was about all Annie was capable of.

"Well, look who finally decided to join us." Annie could feel her blood run cold upon that voice reaching her ears. Although the person sounded like they were talking from the other end of a very long tunnel, she recognized it as the woman she mistook for a police officer. She wondered what happened to Officer Bassett until the woman walked into her line of sight.

A chilling smile playing on her lips, she crouched, observing Annie behind shades too dark to view her eyes. "Annie, your hubby and I were just waiting for you to awaken so you could see what I intend to do to him."

Annie attempted to shake her head, but it barely moved. "Please," she started, tongue feeling quite thick and dry. "Please, don't...hurt him. Love him."

Brows raised. "You want me to love him or are you trying to say that you do? Hopefully, it's the latter, as I don't play for the same team as you." She was the only person within the kitchen to chuckle.

Annie's vision began to blur again, except that time due to tears. "Don't hurt my...husband."

"Oh, sweetheart, I have much bigger plans than hurting him." On both knees, she reached for something, soon pulling a pizza box close enough for the other woman to view. A gloved hand slipped inside, soon extracting a hammer. She smirked when Annie inquired what she intended to do with it. Twirling its handle, she looked toward the unbound woman. "I'm not about to drive nails into the wall in order to hang pictures, that's for sure."