Love Is Earned

I've combined Stacey--Louise's and fathanah28's requests to make this one shot! When Tobi reveals he's got a girlfriend, the boys all have very different reactions. However Vik's reaction ends up revealing something far more than just an innocent child's opinion to Tobi.

Wednesday evening was always interesting. It was the time of the week were both fathers and sons alike were usually at their most tired. The middle of the week grind often resulted in slightly more petty arguments amongst the boys or more occasions where both men would snap at each other. No one ever got too upset, they all knew everyone else was probably feeling just as tired as they were, and any sort of stress they were feeling, could often be alleviated over the family dinner, when they would all get together to talk over the day and make plans.

With such a large family this was one of the few times they could all be in the same space and it was a huge tradition of bonding that Simon and JJ had enforced. They weren't very strict parents but that was one of their few rules : everybody ate at the dinner table. A few times in the past that rule had been broken but only by general consensus, and those times had been because they'd ordered a take away in order to watch a film or sporting event on the TV, otherwise, it was the kitchen every evening. They chose to eat in this room rather than the dining room purely because their growing sons would often demand more, and it was simply more convenient to get up and walk a few paces to the oven or fridge, instead of walking through another room.

JJ was currently the one leading the conversation over the family favourite meal of spaghetti bolognese, suggesting ideas for the coming weekend. "I was thinking we could all go to the zoo this Saturday, it's been a while and I know you've been wanting to go for ages," he said, giving the youngest sat next to him a gentle nudge.

The five year old beamed up at him, red sauce covering most of the lower half of his face. "Yeah! Zoo! Zoo! Zoo!" he exclaimed, hitting his small fork against the table and splattering some more sauce across the wooden top.

Simon just laughed it off. They'd worked out a long time ago that most boys didn't really learn table manners until at least the age of nine.

Grinning as Vik positively buzzed in his seat from excitement, Simon addressed his other sons. "How about it boys?"

"Fine by me," Josh shrugged, "we ain't got any plans have we Ethan?" he said to his brother.

The other boy shook his head. "My plan was to teach Molly how to shake hands," he admitted, before sighing and shaking his head. "But I guess that can always wait," he decided, knowing that it would be very unlikely the young dog would learn that trick in one day anyway. Sweet, the little spaniel might have been, but brains were not her forte. "What d'ya think Vik?" he asked, leaning down so he could meet his little brother in the eyes. "Should we go and see those cheeky monkeys?"

"Yeah!" the youngster cried out, getting even more excited, making his chair shake from his movements.

Harry laughed. "But you don't need to go to a zoo when you've got one right here!" he exclaimed, directing his thumb to himself, and beginning to make "ooh, ooh, ah, ah," noises.

"Yeah but they have better hygiene than you," Ethan mocked.

"Be fair Ethan," JJ put in. "Harry showers more than you do," he reminded the teen.

"Showers more, yes," Ethan agreed. "But he's in and out in five minutes," he said, lifting his head with pride. "I on the other hand will do things properly and take a bath."

"For four hours," Simon muttered, a smirk tugging at his lips as Ethan gave him moody look.

"Dad..." he moaned while Josh giggled beside him.