Forty Four • Off to London

The mountains faded out and the silence of nature formed into the industrial noise of the city again.

An old friend of years, Lake Tyrrell, apparated you back to London from your short holiday in the Irish mountains. Something about it felt wrong.

Newt Scamander, who had recently become much more than a close friend, was waiting for you in New York. You didn't have long, the trip over seas would take time, and you never liked to keep anyone waiting. Especially since he was with that Tina Goldstein. She was as fine a woman as any, but unfortunately she had eyes for Newt. Which wouldn't end well for her if you had anything to do with it.

The smog rolled over the streets and nearly choked you as you stumbled out onto the pavement. Muggles passed by the alley without a thought or second glance.

"Lake-" you began to say as you turned to the man.

"I have to go actually. Best of luck." Lake said as he patted your shoulder absently and passed you out onto the street.

"Lake! Wait!?" You called as you rushed out into the crowd. He was gone. Out of sight.

It was odd. He brought you back to London just to leave you. There was something about him recently that just felt off. He didn't act like himself anymore.

You made your way back to your flat and began to pack your things. There wasn't really much now that you didn't work at the ministry. Only a few books, some clothes and a small canister of tea. There wasn't much else you could think to take.

Walking back out into the living room the hearth blazed with green fire and your sister, Poppy, emerged.

"Oh! You're back!" The girl cheered.

"Not for long. I have to go to New York." You replied.

"Sounds like an adventure! I'm off to school tomorrow, you also missed my birthday, sis." She said with a pout.

"I'm sure you remembered I did get you a phoenix. I didn't forget." You responded with.

"True enough. Newt made me a cake. He did a pretty good job too. It only took him three hours." The girl said with a laugh. It was a funny thought, Newt making a birthday cake. Not that it was impossible but it just sounded unusual.

"Need help packing?" Poppy asked as she pointed to your bag.

"I'm all set actually. Make sure to owl me once you get to Hogwarts. Right when you get there. I think Lake is taking you. I think there is still a boat at the docks isn't there?" You said.

"The last boat leaves tonight actually. You had better hurry." The young girl said with a smile.

"I'm sorry I'm gone so much. Really, I am." You said with a sigh. Your arm was still broken and you wouldn't get the chance to see a healer before you left.

"I understand. It's just like mum used to say. 'A woman who's out and about, is a woman who knows about things'. It can't be helped." Poppy said, as she nearly shooed you out the door.

"Bye!" You called over your shoulder as you stomped down the stairs and out the building.

Poppy would be fine, once she was back to school she would be taken care of. Hogwarts was home away from home, she'd be happy to see it again.

The boat was nearly pulling away from the docks as you stormed forward through the crowd towards your only means of transport to the Americas.

As you neared you saw that passengers were still boarding, you weren't about to miss it. Thank Merlin.

Just as you slowed your paced you were knocked into by someone. You tumbled to the ground with a groan. Looking up to the culprit you saw a large man in a furs. Not classic posh furs, no. They were hunter's pelts. It was only a glance to his face before he moved on but there was no mistaking him. It was your adopted father's brother, Martin or better known as Marty.

He moved out into the massed of people. You stumbled to your feet with the aid of your one good arm and looked around. You turned to the boat once again and boarded. A vial of magic bone repair now in your jacket pocket.

Then, as much as you wished you didn't have to, you were off for New York.

Please vote if you liked it! What day does school start for you if you are enrolled? Mine would be September 8th where I'm from.