Forty Five • New York

The boat left the harbour and bounded straight across the Atlantic to the new world, the Americas.

The boat ride wasn't much to behold, all there was for miles was blue. The dark navy of the ocean below, and the light faded blue of the skies over head flecked with white clouds.

Your arm gradually healed with help from the potion Marty had given you. Soon you would be on land again and you couldn't wait. The steel ship gave no comfort, and only slight amenities.

The ship drew into the harbor in New York late in the evening. The lights of the city reflected off the water like a shimmering sky of stars that should have been overhead but cloud cover rolled over the great city like a grey blanket.

You departed from the boat in a rush. Dibbles of rain had begun to fall.

You rushed through the streets in a daze. The fact was there wasn't a single familiar thing in the city in the dark.

You passed shops and office buildings alike and non seemed to ring a bell. Not a single block, not a single street. Nothing.

You had almost given up on trying to find the hotel you had planned to stay at.

Rain poured down from the heavens in angry drops that coated the streets like a veil.

Every soul filtered off the streets as the sky drew into a mess of storm and rain. There wasn't a chance of staying out in this sort of weather.

You ducked into a small shop. The door chimed as it opened. The sweet smell of delicious baked goods wafting you in the face.

It was a small bakery with many displays of pastries in different shapes and sizes. Some of which looked far too familiar.

You mulled about absently until something clicked in your mind.

They were in the shapes of magical creatures!

"We're closing, miss." A jolly looking fellow said from behind the counter.

You hadn't realized him in your daze but something about him seemed kind.

"Oh, sorry sir. It's bloody well pouring buckets
out there." You replied simply.

He hummed and continued to sort the cash within the register.

"Another Brit. I used to know one. He left back for London not that long ago." He rambled on.

"Really? Odd. I know a man who had only been back from New York a few weeks." You replied.

You inspected the man before you. He wasn't familiar in any way to you.

"Funny isn't it? His name's Newt. He's got some weird animals. Know him?" The man asked.

To your surprise it must have been the same Newt. Who else could it have been? But this man looked to be a muggle. How was it he knew Newt?

"Aren't you a muggle?" You stated in a hushed voice.

"So you're a witch too! You do know him then?" He asked excitedly.

"Yes. I know him fairly well. Who are you?" You stumbled slightly over your words.

"Oh. Excuse my manners. I'm Jacob Kowalski." He said quite happily.

"Well then Jacob. How is it you know about us? I don't imagine MACUSA would be all too happy to hear about this." You said with a start.

"Oh, no! Please don't. MACUSA has no idea." Jacob stuttered slightly.

"She won't, honey. She's bluffing." A cheery female voice said as the door chimed from behind you.

"Quinine." Jacob said almost dazed.

"She's good friends with Newt. She knows my sister too!" She said with a slight cheer.

"How-" You began to say.

"I'm able to read minds, hun. No worries." She smiled.

"Well, I can't exactly find my hotel." You began to say before the blond woman cut you off.

"You can stay with us. No problem, hun. Come on, let Jacob close up shop, then we'll leave." She shone brightly, her voice and expression kind and care free.

"In the mean time, tell us about yourself." Jacob said as he began to pack up the bakery.

You wearily complied. Telling them of your venture to the mountain range and the run ins with the group of undefined magic users who brought disaster in their wake.

Queenie watched with full attention as you rambled on, her smile broadened to a wide grin as you got onto the topic of the peculiar man Newt and his case of creatures.

"You really like him, don't you?" Jacob called as he collected his coat, and made his way for the door.

A bright blush rose to your cheeks at the statement. It was fairly true, but it was still slightly embarrassing being called out on it by anyone but Poppy.

"I do, really." You admitted. "No point in denying it." You shrugged in defeat.

"Well we should be off then. You'll have to see the main office tomorrow. You'll be needing a wand permit." The blonde woman said lightly.

"A wand permit? I haven't a wand. It's still in London..." You said as a jolt of anxiety struck.

"Really? Well in that case, you'll be needing other papers instead. MACUSA has quite a lot of rules about foreign wizards." She said, as she drew open the door, and the cold rain ventured in.

You followed out after her, the streets opened up around you. You were in New York no doubt, the weather was horrible.

So I went back and edited this a bit more, sorry for the errors! Please hit that ⭐! What places have you traveled to? I've been to a few provinces in Canada and I've been to Maine and Florida in the U.S.