Forty Seven • New York Weather

The rain pelted down like the worst of days in London, only the humidity was unbearable. A mix of smoke and vehicle fumes mixed into the air, making it as thick as molasses.

Quinine led the way down the street, Jacob had fallen behind from locking up the shop.

A cement staircase rose up from below the sidewalk, lanterns along the walls leading down to a cold open space.

Along the farthest wall were signs and a track much like a train's was set into the ground below.

A few benches littered the area and a few vagabonds lay sleeping on them, under ripped blankets and old newspapers.

"This is a subway, correct?" You asked as you turned your attention back to your two companions.

"Yep. Train will be here any minute." Jacob said as he snatched up a newspaper from a wire display rack set against the wall near the entrance.

"Weather here isn't great, by the looks of this." You admitted. Which was clearly pointless, considering the weather in London wasn't the most favorable either.

"It's not always like this. New York weather isn't all bad." The cheery woman said with a smile.

"Looks like it might thunder." Jacob said with his nose still in his paper.

"It might. Frank might still be around." The woman said absently.

"Frank?" You questioned.

Just then the tracks began to rattle and the rush of wind sounded down the tunnel that would house the subway.

The underground train rushed past and stopped, just as you thought it might just keep going, passing through the station on its way somewhere else in the city.

The lights overhead seemed to flicker slightly, then a rush of cold wind passed over the platform. The place grew dark and from within the train a dark glow could be seen.

The doors shuttered open to reveal a ghastly pale, eyeless creature. A floating apparition of fear itself. A long cloud of greyish black fabric swirled about it.

"Dementor." You could hear Quinine whisper, all cheer gone from her now startled face.

You patted your pockets in search for your wand. In a flurry of fear and intense instinct you threw out your hand towards the creature.

"Expecto patronum!" You called in a desperate chant.

A faded blue light shot forth from your hand, like the last whisps of smoke from a fire that retreated into the darkness.

The Dementor moved overhead and left the platform. The lights flickered back on just as it drifted up to the street.

You peered over expectantly at Jacob and Quinine. They both stood in a cold shock.

You proceeded onto the train and looked around. There was nothing out of the ordinary.

You stood and watched as the two made their way to the compartment, the doors closing behind them.

"What was that about?" You broke the silence.

"Grindelwald. He's escaped again." Quinine said gravely.

"I see." You replied.

The rest of the ride was silent and for the most part un-settling. How was there no one on this one train?

You filled along after the two and made your way off the train. The new station, much like the last but only with more people.

The cold, rainy march to their apartment began from that station.

Yay! I updated, finally! Sorry for it being so slow. I'm not seeing as much interest as I thought before. If you want me to keep going with this story please let me know, because otherwise I don't know if I'll finish it. Thanks