Forty Nine • Chance Meeting

The MACUSA office towered over all the other buildings that were so much smaller in comparison.

The steps leading up to the grand office building were a worn down stone polished to a shine.

Walking up those steps you walked into the massive office. The high ceiling and steps making it look far more magical than it did from outside.

You, on the direction of Queenie made it all the way the the small sub office with a plaque on the wall with gold engraving that read WAND PERMITS AND WIZARDS ABROAD.

You walked in the glazed glass door without knocking.

An older man looked up from a heap of files and loose papers on the reception desk.

"Can I help you, miss?"

"I think I need a wand permit, but I've no wand. I seem to have left it in London with my sister."

The man looked confused and huffed slightly before he took his glasses off his nose and set them on the stack of papers.

"So you want a wand permit for a wand you don't have?"

You ran your hands over your face in frustration, it was true. It sounded stupid now but before it sounded like the right thing to do.

"Well am I even allowed to buy a wand here?" You asked.

The man contemplated for a moment before he began to root through his desk.

"Well am I?"

"You give me a minute, now. I've got just the form."

"Americans and your foreign policy!" You hissed.

"Here's your form, miss. Fill it out and be on your way."

"Alright, thank you."

You filled out the basic information it asked for and handed back the paper and the pen that you had swiped from the desk.

You made your way out of the small office and nearly tripped up when you saw a black hooded figure in almost the passing witches and wizards.

"Bloody hell," you hissed as you tried to find someplace to hide.

You found nothing and ended up trying to draw no attention to yourself as you scurried out of the office.

Outside you walked directly into someone as you looked over your shoulder.

You were knocked down on your rear for what felt like the hundredth time recently.

"So sorry, love–"

"Newt?"

The familiar redhead cracked a bright smile.

"Fancy seeing you here," he joked.

"Where's Poppy or Lake? What about Tina?"

"Poppy is at school her phoenix found me and I sent her an owl– she said you would be here, but why?"

"Lake said you were here," you mumbled feeling naïve.

"I love you and all, but don't take other's word on my part. We have enough problems without you running off to New York of all places!"

"Well sorry for trying to find you! Sorry that I care about you!"

For a first meeting after a while apart it was not at joyful as you would have thought it to be.

"Don't shout at me!" Newt said sternly.

"You stop shouting!" You retorted.

"I'm not! You are!" He hissed.

Shaking your head trying to not be angry at the handsome man, you caught sight of something poking out of his sleeve.

" Unfortunately we don't have the liberty to bicker here," you said as you looked back over your shoulder.

"Wait, why–"

"Just go!" You nearly shouted again.

"Fine," Newt grumbled as he turned on his heel and began back down the steps.

With one final glance to the doors you saw the hooded figure just inside the doors.

"Newt!" You surged forward and caught the man's arm and began to drag him along as fast as possible.

He didn't ask what you were doing, he just followed your lead.

You ran out into the street and almost got hit by a passing car as you tried to cross.

"Are you trying to get us killed?!" Newt spluttered as he hauled you back from the cars.

"No, I'm trying to save us come on!"

Newt strode forward now with his arm slung around your waist and his wand in the other.

You wove through the traffic to the other side of the street and began to run again.

Once you felt you had a fair enough lead you ducked into an alley and pulled the British man along behind you.

"What. What's going on?" Newt panted.

"The Cultists work for Grindelwald, Newt. He wants to take over or something. He's broken out of Azkaban."

"Bloody hell," Newt hissed. "That's why he wants you family's relics after so many years?"

"I assume so, my mother went to school with him I believe so he would have known one way or another."

"Merlin's beard. This is getting confusing."

"Newt, Lake was never a bad person. If anything he's trying to protect Poppy and I, like he always has. He's gone into hiding with the wand to try too get Grindelwald's cult to leave us alone."

"So he's been good this whole time?"

"Yes, he has. I'm staying with your friends Jacob and Queenie, by the way."

"You are the best and worst at getting involved with my business, you know."

"True enough. But you love me, so it's all well and good."

He rolled his eyes playfully. "I did say that didn't I?"

"Quite loud too," you said with a grin.

"Well fine, I love you."

"That's nice, but I already know. I have for a while." Your grin turned to an ear to ear smile, he was sweet.

"Don't say it back, love. Don't think I don't see what you're doing here," he quipped.

"I love you too, Newt."

His hand found your cheek gently and he kissed you tenderly. It was so sweet you nearly felt sick. Pulling away from you he rested his forehead on your's.

"If I asked, would you marry me?" He asked.