15.

M A T H E W

I felt annoyed as fück. This was the second time someone interrupted us while we tried to kiss. But it's probably for the better.

I couldn't get her image out of my mind. Her full pink lips and her smooth skin and twinkling brown eyes. She looked perfect. No matter what she wear or what she did. Her awkwardness, embarrassments, everything she is, was drawing me in. It pulled me to her and I'm slightly scared.

I had relationships and they never ended well. I had lost people close to me and it made me messed up. I don't want to drag her into this. I don't want to hurt her. She's nice, kind and sweet. I don't want to break her and turn her into something she's not. And I have seen what broken hearts turn into.

Maybe I'm overthinking all of this. Maybe it was only close proximity that draw us in. Heat of the moment kind of thing.

We -Christine, Jennifer,Max and I- set in the living room watching a movie and eating the snacks Christine made. Even the snacks taste better when she makes them.

Every now and then I would glanced at Christine to see she had faint smile and I would smile. Also I noticed that Max would also glance -more like stare- at Jennifer. As a man and a brother I think he wants to bang her or he genuinely interested in her, I'm still not sure.

I'm not that sure about the latter, because Max is known for his player ways.

I shook my head slightly and turned back to the movie.

Halfway through the movie, Jennifer had slept on Christine shoulder while Christine tried her best not wake her up.

"The siblings tire the life out of her." She whispered and Max and I both nodded. She smiled lightly at her bestfriend before turning back to the TV.

°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•

I got up early the next morning, I felt tired and shïtty. My body felt heavy, my throat felt like sand paper and my head was banging.

Great, I caught a cold.

At least I have a reason not to go to work. But I have nothing to do here anyway so I got and took a hot steamy shower. I wore one of my many black suit and headed down the stairs. I called Ryan to tell him to come and pick me up. I wore my coat and walked out of the house.

After two minutes or so, Ryan arrived. I got in the car and he drove to the company.

As the company came to my view, memories of yesterday hit me like a brick. I felt guilty for making Christine come here, I wish I had I known. I wouldn't have made her ride the elevator nor see my office.

The way she clenched to arm warmed me and broke my heart at the same time. Warmed me because she trusted me and wasn't afraid to show weakness in front of me. Broke my heart because she looked terrified. She looked like a little girl who saw a creep crown or something. If she hadn't had this fear, she would have enjoyed the view.

As soon as I reached my floor, I sneezed and coughed at the same time and my assistant Tom gave me a concerned look and I shook my head slightly telling him not to worry about it.

I entered my office and sat on the desk, I opened the laptop but my eyes hurt from the brightness so I closed it again. I took a file that I had to go through and started flipping the pages but the words were all over the place. My sight was blurry. My eyes tear up and I groaned. The most part I hate about getting ill is when my eyes water for no apparent reason. Like why? I'm a man, I don't just cry for no reason.

Suddenly, the door burst openand I instantly know who it was. I couldn't afford to roll my eyes because they hurt me.

"Man, Tommy over there told me you're sick but I couldn't believe him. Mathew sick? Never-" I swear to God he speaks more than our grandma.

"Anyway I called Christine and she's wanting for you at the house, you need someone to look after you but currently I can't I have some business to attend. So I'm gonna drive you home and she's going to take care of you." I made a thumb up to let him know I agree.

He literally dragged outside the building and into his red BMW. Never got the concept of it being red. I hate that color.

He drove me to my house and made sure I was inside safely before he drove off.

"Oh, Mathew" Christine frowned, and helped me lay down on my bed.

She helped me take off my shoes and my jacket before she walked off to the kitchen to make some soup.

After a while she came back with a huge bowl of soup on a tray. She handed it over and set next to me on the bed. She put tissues and a jar of water on the night stand with advil just in case I got a headache.

"Thank you." My voice was rusty and I grimaced. It sounded so bad to my own ears.

"Welcome." She smiled. Her smile made me feel a little bit better. Her cute dimples made me want to squeeze her cubby rosy cheeks.

"I hate being sick." I whispered.

"We all do." She said.

"I feel helpless, and I don't like that." I said.

"Yeah, I get that." She frowned.

"But it's okay to ask for help every on and then." She added and I nodded.

"Can you keep a secret?" She asked.

"Of course." I answered her. I was speaking lowly and softly because my throat hurts.

"My mom is sick...she has cancer. It was very hard asking for help. It made me feel pathetic, lonely and like I am a burden. It still feels like this sometimes. But I gotta do what I got to do to keep my mom healthy and alive." She said. I took a second to progress what she said and I frowned.

"I'm sorry to hear that." I whispered and she smiled sadly.

I grabbed her hand and squeezed it lightly before smiling at her. I didn't want to look at her with a pitiful look. Because I know how it makes someone feel. So I held her hand until I fell asleep because of how tired I was.