Chapter 18

I have to say it, Mary and Mathew are my otp! Hope y'all enjoy!!
___________________________

I got the last thing on the list, I took it to the counter and paid. I thanked the shopkeeper as they handed me the item in a bag. I walked out onto the cobblestone street as I closed the door behind me.

Let's hope I have everything, for I don't think I can carry another bag. I had two bags on each arm, while I held three tightly in my hands for dear life.

I started to walk when I felt that familiar chill of someone watching me go up my spine. I closed my eyes and let out a shaky breath. "He's not here, it's just my mind playing tricks on me. He's not here, I'm safe" I opened my eyes and continued to walk to the Abbey.

~~~~

I walked into the kitchen to see Daisy in a daze shaking the flour. I plopped the bags onto the counter and leaned on it as my arms were on fire from the weight of the bags.

"You alright, love?" Mrs. Patmore asked, I turned my head to the side to look at her to see an amused look on her face, I gave her a sarcastic smile "Just peachy" she laughed as she turned back around as Mrs. Hughes walked in.

"How is he?" Mrs. Patmore asked as Mrs. Hughes handed one of the kitchen maids the tray she was carrying. "His father's with him now, and he seems to understand the situation"

I looked to the counter "Poor man"
"Daisy, Williams asking to see you"
I looked up to see Mrs. Hughes walk towards her. Daisy looked up from her daze.

"I can't go. Don't make me go" she begged with a desperate look on her face. "Do you care that little for him?" Mrs. Patmore asked as she messed with the dish rag in her hands.

"It's not that. I'm very fond of William, and I'm very sad. But I've led him on and led him on and made him think things that aren't true" she said with her voice shaky.

"But he wanted them to be true. He was happy to think that they were true" Mrs. Patmore told Daisy. "But it doesn't make it all right" she said glossy eyed.

Mrs. Hughes clasped her hands together in front of her. "Shall I tell him you won't come?" She asked Daisy. Daisy looked between the three of us, as of fighting with herself.

Mrs. Hughes gave her a look of pity as Daisy started to untie her apron. She walked passed Mrs. Hughes as she handed me her apron before disappearing upstairs.

I looked to Mrs. Hughes and Mrs. Patmore and gave them both small sad smiles.

~~~~

I walked into the servant's hall with a cup of tea and sat it down on the table as I sat down with my book. Thomas was stood by the fireplace as Mrs. O'Brien sat in front of me sewing.

I opened my book, Thomas put out his cigarette then walked out, not even taking one glance my way. I looked back down at my book but couldn't seem to read as my mind was somewhere else.

That chill I felt earlier, someone watching me. It couldn't have been him, not here. "Penny for your thoughts?" Mrs. O'Brien pulled me out of my mind. "I'm sorry" I said as I tried to read my book.

"Are you alright?" She asked as she stopped sewing. I looked up to her. "Why wouldn't I be?" "You look like you've seen a ghost" I shook my head. "I'm just overwhelmed at the moment. Along with everyone else"