Chapter 39 | The Lake

39

─── • ─── 

ISABELLA

I didn't respond.

I didn't have the guts to. I don't remember what transpired last night and to be frank, I don't want to know. His texts didn't seem too concerning. They only asked if that was me who called which sadly, it was.

Addy and I are back at school, and things are getting easier emotionally. I think it might be all the distractions. Long clinical days, performing at The Wild Heart when I have a chance after school, coffee runs with Max and Addy.

"I feel like we should go out tonight, it's Friday." Addy stares at herself in the mirror, running her hands over the dress she just put on. "The semester is almost over."

"I second that," Max says, shoving popcorn in his mouth.

"Don't eat in my bed!" I say, pushing him off. He rolls his eyes and moves to a chair. "Anyway, where would we go?"

"Hmm, I heard Lucas is throwing a party at the lake," Addy states mischievously.

Lucas? Lucas Humphrey?

I think back to the last time I saw him. "I haven't spoken to him in a while."

"Guys, I'm a little old to be going to a college party," Max says wearily. "And, what if some of my students are there?"

Addy waves her hands dismissively. "You look like you're twenty, you're hot! And don't worry about it, you don't have work until Monday."

"People are going to want to jump your bone," I reply and laugh.

He pretends to flip his hair. "What can I say? Too bad I like dick." We all burst into a fit of laughter, then finalize the plans for tonight.

After a lot of arguing over which bathing suits to wear and what our drinking limits are for tonight, we finally arrive at the party. We told Addy she could go ham on the alcohol because she's staying with Jasper. I am driving so my choice of beverage is water, but Max, on the other hand, will drink something stronger.

We park in a field beside a bunch of other cars and follow the dirt path lit by tiki torches. Max disappears with Addy to find Jasper, and I'm left to go find drinks.

"Isabella? I didn't know you were coming." I turn around to find no one other than Lucas holding the keg pump.

"Hey, Lucas." I smile, giving him a small hug. "I haven't seen you in a while."

"It has been a while, hasn't it?" he says, attaching the handle to the keg. "How have you been?"

We both step out of the way so people can walk pass. "I've been pretty good. How have you been?"

"I've been good as well. Do you want something to drink?" He motions to my empty hands.

"I'm not drinking tonight, but my friends are. What do you have?" He guides me to the coolers full of alcohol and I pick the best thing I can for Max and Addy.

"Alright, we should catch up! We can later if I'm not too drunk. If you need anything, come find me." He winks.

"Sounds good." I smile, letting him tend to his other guests. I walk around for a little while, talking to people from school until I find Max and Addy again. They're at the edge of the lake, hanging their feet in the water; I hand them their drinks.