Chapter 2: Tragedy

I shook in fear as I began to sweat in anxiety. My father knew what I did. He had to, having Joslyn's phone. Was I going to jail? Did my mother or brother know? Did the police department know? Is this the end of my future?

"Dad... I-,"

"Don't." He interrupted as he clenched his fist in anger.

I sat there, Silent. My father kept quiet for few seconds, building anticipation and fear. He finally spoke again, breaking the silence, satisfying me.

"What happened?"

"It was an accident, Dad. I swear."

"What...Happened..?"

"She tried to fight me... I- I... didn't do anything. I just ran and I think she tripped or something."

My dad scoffed under his breath, "I watched the video." I became silent, knowing I'd been busted.

"No more lies, Crystal."

I began to sob. "I'm sorry, Dad." He grew angrier. "This is not okay, Crystal." The feeling of hope grew in my head as he seemed not as upset as I thought he'd be.

"Now tell me, what happened?"

"She recorded me on her phone and said she was going to beat me up and show the video to the school. Then, I saw she was at the edge of a hole. It didn't even go down that far. I thought she would just get a bruise or something and leave me alone."

"Jesus Christ, what were you thinking?" My father shouted.

I don't know what I was thinking. I was in the heat of the moment, and I just flipped my shit. "I don't know." My father sighed, unable to believe the situation.

"We cannot tell your mother about this, Crystal."

"Agreed. That includes Jason."

"Yes, that includes Jason."

Jason is my younger brother, or as I like to call him: Satan's spawn. Not really, but he's a spoiled brat. "Your brother will be home anytime, now. Make sure not to mention any of this to him. Do you understand?" Of course, I fully agreed with him. "Yes dad, I understand."

He got up from his seat, walking upstairs to his bedroom, taking the phone with him. No, no, no. How did my dad find out? Does the police department know? I didn't know what to think.

An hour later of sitting at the kitchen table, thinking, there was a knock at the door. I looked through the peep hole, seeing no one. I swung the door open, looking down. "Move out of my way, Crystal!" It was my little brother, Jason. "Hey, I'll crush you like a cockroach!"

My brother rushed to the living room TV, snatching the TV remote. "What are you doing?" He ignored me and turned the TV on. He went to Channel 9, the news. I gasped under my breath, shocked. The TV screen displayed a blurred image of a dead body.

"We don't know what happened to this girl. The victim had no fingerprints on skin or belongings. We do know this is an intentional murder which the police department is taking very seriously and are in the process of beginning  an investigation." The news woman said.

I felt a slight breeze behind my neck. I noticed my father behind me, witnessing what I was. "Jesus, Crystal." My father whispered.

"Hey, Jason, why don't you watch something else?" I said as TV took the remote from him, changing the channel to some cartoons. My father grasped my shoulder, walking me to the kitchen table. "We need to talk."

We sat at the kitchen table, once more. My father sat still, hands folded and back posture perfect in the sleek-wooden chair of his.

"I want you to tell me everything."