Chapter 18

[Probably no Friday update (Mar 31). I'm taking a break to make pre-written chapters. Hope you all understand. <3

Enjoy the chapter!]

Stay Creepy, My Friends!~

Chapter 18

Reese's POV

After my horrible not-so-nightmare-very-so-memory I was unable to sleep. I woke up at 3am and stayed wide awake until the very beginning rays of sunlight beamed through my window. Most of the time I spent awake I kept staring at my phone. As soon as I saw those rays of sunlight, I navigated my way to Ben's contact and hovered my thumb over the Call icon. After waiting and waiting, contemplating if I should or shouldn't, I hit the button and gingerly brought the phone to my ear.

I sat still, holding my breath, listening to the dial tone drone every other second. It was all I could hear for the past minute, until...

"This contact is currently unavailable. Please call back later or leave a message at the to--." I hung up.

Clutching the phone tight, I raised it up to throw it on my bed, but then slowly brought it down. Then I went back to Ben's contact and hit the Call button again.

"This contact is currently unavailable..."

Finally, I decided to stop trying to call him on my fifth attempt, but I wanted to leave a message just so that the dork wouldn't think I ran into a Corrupted and was desperately making calls. After the automated voice stopped talking, and the beep echoed into my ear, I gulped and was silent for a few seconds. Eventually, I cleared my throat and said, "Uh, hey, it's Reese. I'm not dead, if that's what you'll be worried about. Um...I don't know what to say. I...well...I don't know. I guess I'm not...feeling good. Things have been pretty shitty lately. But I hope you're doing alright with whatever it is you're up to. Um...crap, I don't know what else to say..."

Of course you do, Reese, you dunce.

Scratching the back of my head, I added, "Hey, text me back soon so I know you're okay, uh... I'd really like to--."

"Your recording has been saved. Thank you."

"Ffffffffuck," I muttered. Letting my arm go limp, it fell and my phone tumbled out of my hand. After leaning against the wall and staring at my black phone screen, I muttered, "Wait," upon realizing how I had finished my last sentence. Thank god that didn't make it into the recording. Awkward.

...

Hunter and Mom were already in the kitchen having breakfast; I was the last one out of his bedroom. As soon as I stepped out into the kitchen entryway, Mom didn't flash me a warm, good-morning smile.

"Oh my god, mijito, are you okay?" she asked, standing up from her chair.

"Yeah," I mumbled, obviously lying but I didn't care if I was.

"You look like you hurled up your entire digestive system, dude," Hunter said.

"Thanks," I remarked. I kinda wish I did.

"What happened?" Mom questioned me, grabbing my shoulder gently.

I shook my head and walked sluggishly to the fridge to take the milk out. "It's nothing, mama. Just a restless night."

"You're not coming down with the flu, are you? Flu season is starting. Your previous vaccination should still be working, but we can go to Walgreens and--."