Chapter 30: Isn't This Great

Mark's POV

"Now!" Leo shouted. I brought my hand down on the button as fast as I could. There was a... hologram? That's what I am going to call it.

The hologram showed the bomb falling and I watched as it caught the jet by the tail end and blew it off course. It veered to the right and started spiraling downwards. I didn't have time to celebrate because another jet came soaring right at us. Leo tried to avoid it by steering to the left. There was a loud screeching noise as Leo's ship and the jet scrubbed past each other.

"Leo, is there anything we can do?" I glanced back and saw Lyler and Mars holding onto the frame of the fancy door leading to the pilot's pit.

   "In the back room there should be some...what would you call them? Space lasers? Whatever you would call them they shoot lasers, use them." Leo was focused on dodging jets, missiles, and bullets as he talked. "Aim them out of the windows."

   "Sir yes sir." I heard Mars shout as her and Lyler made their way out of the pilots pit.

   "Mark, click the red button right in front of you and use the gear to aim for the jets!" Leo commanded as he pulled the ship down sharply, making me a bit nauseous.

   I held on for dear life as we headed straight down to dodge an incoming jet who had a suicide mission. I clicked the red button and sure enough a gear almost identical to Leo's popped up from the rainbow of buttons and switches. The only difference was that mine had a scope on it. I grabbed it and aimed for the first jet I saw.

   "This is just like a video game I have at home." I thought out loud.

"Except these are real people." Leo glanced over at me.

That sentence hit me hard. I stopped shooting and watched as one of the jets plummeted to the ground below.

Oh.

"Mark! Don't stop shooting!" Leo yelled as a rain of bullets shot in our direction causing Leo to have to veer to the right.

"Right." I placed my hands back on the gear but as I shot this time it all felt distant. Like it wasn't really me, that I wasn't really there. I watched another plane go down and it seemed to happen in slow motion. I was killing those people. They were dying because of me. They wouldn't go back to their families but their families might come to them but in tears. I was ending their lives.

"We're gonna have to run for it, well fly for it." Leo pushed the gear forward and my head hit the back of the seat I was in.

It seemed to knock me back into reality some because I was finally able to talk. "Leo." I didn't know what to say but I had to say something.

"Kinda busy right now." Leo was griping onto the gear so tight his knuckles were turning white.

   "Right, sorry." I sat in the chair and watched as Leo steered and yelled at the jets even though the people in them couldn't hear him.

   There was a loud deep thundering sound as Leo's airship started tilting downwards and a shout came through to us from the other room. "Guys we've been hit, hard!"

   A loud beeping sound started going off and some of the lights flickered off and on until they finally went off permanently.

"Guys!" I shouted as I pointed at the ground that was now in view and shouldn't have been.

"Buckle up!"

"How?" Mars asked as she sat down in the closest seat and began to frantically look for a belt.

"Click the button on the side." Lyler shouted as he sat down too.

"Isn't this great!" Marissa got extra sarcastic when she was scared.

I took the advice even though it was for Mars and when I did a belt flung around my my chest from my left shoulder to my right hip. My stomach felt like it was going to replace my heart as the ship tilted even more and began rushing toward the ground. Leo was pulling the gear upwards with all of his strength and I was scared he was going to break it. The ship was still falling but now all I could see was the sky and some blurs.

"We're gonna die!" Mars shrieked as we started to face the earth below us again.

"I hadn't noticed!" I screamed and squeezed my eyes shut.

Even though I was scared out of my mind I opened my eyes just in time to see us crash right into the first of many trees. We took the tree down with little effort and many trees after that. The ship hit the ground with a violent, shaky smash. The glass in front of me shattered and I closed my eyes as little pieces rained down on me. My head hit the back of the chair and my vision diminished until I was unconscious.

~~~~~~~~~~
Guys I made it to chapter 30! I'm so excited. There's a lot going on in this chapter so I hope you stayed interested throughout the entire thing. Sorry about the last update I was away from home and out of data.