Chapter 82

Across the ocean, Shira sat at her computer, rereading Rory's most recent email. It sounded like her pregnancy was progressing nicely. She was down to around five weeks until her due date.

When Honor was pregnant, Shira made sure to be around. She wanted to experience all aspects of becoming a grandmother whenever possible. When Josh was unable to attend appointments with the doctor, Shira would be his stand in. She helped get the nursery in order and planned a baby shower. She shopped, cooked, and slept with her phone next to her bed for the last month of Honor's pregnancy, waiting for the call that labor was in progress.

It was different this time. It wasn't her daughter who was pregnant; it was her son's girlfriend. Well, fiancée. Shira didn't have that same connection with Rory as she did with Honor for obvious reasons. The whole situation was hard enough with all that had happened years ago but, when factoring in the issue with Odette, Shira was still upset.

Odette was a wonderful match for Logan. She hated learning that her son caused Odette any hurt by cheating on her with Rory. Why couldn't he just wise up and accept that Rory would hold him back from living the life he was destined for? Odette would have been the perfect wife. She knew her place and would allow Logan to become the head of the Huntzberger Publishing Group. Rory was already changing his course by going and getting herself pregnant. Probably on purpose even.

Glancing back at the email on the screen, Shira picked up her cell phone and dialed a number she hadn't called in months.

Hearing the other person's voice on the other end, Shira smiled.

"Odette, hello. It's Shira."

*****

Lorelai stood near her mailbox, observing the sight in front of her. A decent area of trees had to be cut down to accommodate the addition but that work had been done and the frame of the new rooms was in the process of completion. Seeing things take shape was exciting.

Seeing her dreams of having more children take shape was exhilarating.

Smiling to herself, Lorelai moved to the front door while removing the key from her purse. Upon entering the house, welcome noises of progress sounded in her ears. Men could be heard yelling over the ruckus while somewhere, hammering was taking place.

Before long, the rooms would be enclosed and they would get a true sense of the size the additions would bring to the house.

And soon, Gabby and Eli would be filling the house with sounds and noises of their own.

Those were the sounds Lorelai couldn't wait to hear.

*****

"Shira, this is unexpected." Odette wasn't sure why Logan's mother was calling her but something inside told her it couldn't be good.

"Yes, I know but I just wanted to check in on you. How are you doing?"

"I'm good. I teach history at a local public school."

"Really? Wow, I never thought of you as someone who would want to work."

"I never thought so either but after breaking up with Logan and learning that my relationship with him was nothing but a sham concocted by my father and Mitchum, I decided to begin living my life for me."

Shira was silent. Odette could tell she was trying to digest this new discovery. But what did it matter that she had found happiness by teaching a room full of students about the past?

"I mean no disrespect but what does it matter that I've chosen to work?"

"Oh, no, I didn't mean to imply anything negative." Shira was clearly trying to backtrack with her comment regarding her choice to work.

Yes you did, Odette thought.

"Look, Shira, I know that the way my relationship with Logan ended wasn't at all anticipated. However, everything that happened...it was meant to happen. Logan was meant to be with Rory and I was meant to forge my own path, against my father's wishes. I'm happy. Like I said, I'm living my life for me, even though my father is fit to be tied over my career choice."

"Well, you say you're working in a public school. You can't blame him."

Offended, Odette had heard enough. "Is there a reason for your call, Shira, because I don't feel that I should have to justify my choices with you if I have already disregarded what my own father has wanted."

Shira got the hint, wished Odette the best and ended the call.

Odette sat back in her tidy kitchen, thinking of how she dodged quite the bullet with gaining in-laws like Mitchum and Shira.

*****

Shira's cheeks burned hot with embarrassment. What in the world had she been thinking with her decision to call Odette? What did she hope to prove by calling her, drudging up everything that had been buried?

Was Shira the only one who couldn't move on?

Letting out a scream, Shira acted out with rage. She reached for a vase containing a beautiful spring bouquet and threw it against the wall. Glass shattered as flowers fell to the floor in the pooling water.

Angry at herself for the way she felt and at Mitchum for ending their marriage out of the blue, Shira stood up and observed the mess she created.

Funny, it somewhat resembled the state of her life. The former beauty of the colorful buds now looked beaten among the broken vase. The life she knew, one as prestigious as the last name she took on when she married Mitchum, was no more. She had been tossed out with yesterday's garbage.

Honor was busy being a wonderful wife and mother to her husband and three kids. She made herself available to meet all of the needs of her family, no matter how big or small. Time was important in the sense that it was all she needed, all she wanted in order to live her life.

Logan, too, was busy. He was working in the family business from home while being there for Rory during her pregnancy. Shira was told the two had bought a house and had spent quite some time working to get it decorated the way they wanted, including a beautiful nursery for their daughter. Her granddaughter, who was named after Rory's mother and grandmother.

Where did Shira fit in now? Where was her place in her children's lives?