Chapter 96

It makes sense. And it could also explain some of the tension I've noticed between Dominic and Zack. But why didn't Dominic tell me? He and I could have avoided so much of our own drama had I known how she felt about my brother.

Can he really be that clueless? Or, maybe it's a secret. Maybe Zack doesn't even know?

Taking in a deep breath, I decide to ease into it and subtlety ask her more questions while she's helping me dress. I know there's more to this story and I'm pretty sure I'll be able to get her to talk. Hell, just knowing she's no longer after Dominic, somehow makes me want to help her.

I quickly throw back the blankets and head toward the bathroom. I can already smell the lavender scented bubbles as I undress and slip into the warm tub. The soothing water feels incredible on my skin as I lay back, completely covered in white clouds. But, I can't help wondering if this is the calm before the storm. Today, I have to face my uncle. The man who drained Aunt Kelly of all her savings and selfishly gambled every penny away. The same man who also mortified her when she found out he attempted, on several occasions, to have sex with me. I'll never forget the sheer disgust on her face and the immense pain in her eyes. Dominic was right, Uncle John is a monster and Demon or not, he doesn't deserve to live.

Closing my eyes, I can hear the suds popping all around me when without warning, the bathroom door flies open.

"Majesty!" Victoria screams and I instantly jerk myself out of the water, "It's—it's, come quickly..." she starts to cry.

Yanking the robe from the side of the tub, I throw it on, almost slipping on the stone floor,  "What's wrong?" I yell back, tying the belt around my waist as I rush out of the bathroom following Victoria.

"Katie," Zack calmly meets me at the door, "Something has happened." he looks down as I watch a tear roll down his cheek, "It's about. Shit," he whispers under his breath, shaking his head, "It's Aunt Kelly." his eyes meet mine, "She's—she's gone."

"What do you mean she's gone?" I ask, denying what I can already see by his facial expressions, because I can't accept anything worse.

I won't.

"D--did she leave?" my words come out in a whisper as I try like hell to fabricate a different scenario.

I can't face it. It can't be true.

"Sit down," Zack guides me to the wingback by the freshly lit fire and kneels in front of me, taking both of my hands, "S—she killed herself last night," he whispers and I still don't think I heard him correctly because I won't allow his words in my head. This can't be happening. I just talked to her and felt her arms around me only seven hours ago. She was fine.

Or at least I thoughts she was.

Sudden movement to my right causes me to look up and I see Dominic practically flying through the bedroom door as he rushes to my side. He yanks me up in his arms, his cloak wrapping another layer around my body as he holds me tighter than he's ever held me before, "My darling...I am so very, very sorry," he whispers.