05. Personal guide

HARRY

"Is that all, Niall?"

He huffs a little, his arm muscles bulging underneath his tight jacket as he lowers a heavy wooden chest on the back of my carriage. His sky blue eyes snap up at me as he binds leather straps around it, its interior filled with things that I have left since the rest was stolen.

Stolen by a certain little thief.

"Yes, my Lord," he confirms and nods curtly, standing beside the entrance of the carriage and patiently waiting for me to climb in. The rest of my guards are already on top of their horses, ready for our journey.

Miss Evans, Silas, Zayn, and a very friendly young girl I've learnt is Lillian, are standing outside of the mansion, ready to give us their goodbyes.  The four of them look like the funniest little group, Miss Evans being the laid back leader, Silas the odd yet cheerful one, Zayn the shy and quiet one, and Lillian the sweet and supportive one.  I like them all.

"May I speak with you for a moment, Sir?" Miss Evans says, looking quite jitterish, her expression a mixture of determination and slight nervousness.

"Of course-" she links her arm with mine and pulls me away from everyone hastily, almost making me stumble over my feet.  I don't fail to notice Niall's hard glare as I turn my head, his body stiff as if he's ready to attack. Which he probably is knowing him.

"I cannot let you leave, not like this," she tells me as we get far away for anyone to hear us, standing closely in front of me. "It is too dangerous and the route you are about to take leaves you vulnerable, I mustn't allow it."

"But we have to leave, I must reach my uncle as soon as possible. I appreciate your concern, Miss, but-"

"I know the safer route, I know this entire area like the back of my hand. I would like to be so bold and offer you my services as your personal guide." She smiles.

"Thank you, but I am afraid I cannot allow it."

"You are probably right, that was a silly suggestion. I would be very careful if I were you, though, there are far worse criminals around here than the ones that steal gold but I'm sure you'll manage to find a way to avoid them." She shrugs carelessly, pulling her lips into her mouth and looking around innocently.

"Far worse?" I ask, a bit startled now.

"Don't you remember what I showed you last night?"

The terrifying images flash through my mind, my eyes closing for a moment as I shake my head to rid of them. Uncertainty washes over me and I consider her offer for a few moments.  "There are fifteen men on this journey, what would be the role of an unmarried young maiden?"

"I can play the role of your maid," she quickly suggests. "You are our only hope, Mr Styles, I cannot let anything happen to you. If I can assure that you reach your uncle safely, you can bet I shall do just that."

I stare at her for a few moments, reminded of what is she capable of doing, my eyes flicking down to her stomach, the hilt of her dagger peeking beneath a silky bow tied around her waist. Perhaps what she's saying actually makes sense, besides, it would be nice to have someone on this journey that is actually willing to talk to me, not afraid of treating the prince like a human being. "And what happens when we reach the kingdom?"

The edges of her mouth tilt up in a smirk. "I would like to offer myself as your adviser as well. As someone who knows more about this matter than anyone else, I would surely help you get your point across to the king."

"Fair point," I muse, pinching my lower lip between my thumb and forefinger for a few moments. I straighten my posture as I make my decision, clasping my hands behind my back. "All right, Miss Evans. You may join me."