iii| Tempestas

"I'm falling for your eyes, but they don't know me yet."

tribus

tribus.

Tempestas

a violent disturbance of the atmosphere with strong winds and usually rain, thunder, lightning, or snow.

════════

I PRESSED THE SAME KEYS ON THE PIANO OVER AND OVER AGAIN, SLAMMING MY SMALL FINGERS ON THE NOTES UNTIL THEY WERE PRACTICALLY NUMB.

My delicate hands skirted across the smooth white keys, the contrast between my tan hands and the pale piano almost unnoticeable in the deafening darkness. I sang loudly and safely knowing the walls of the practice rooms were soundproof, my voice, my worries, my horrors restrained in one small and suffocating room. I sang the same song, it was my go to sad song and it was the one song that usually made everything better.

This time it didn't.

Anastasia's words were echoing in my head for the last couple of weeks, playing in my mind as if it were a broken record. Over and over and over and over again. It was killing me. I spent so long in the school practice room, playing until my hands ached that I lost track of time.

I sang and played for what felt like forever, although in the midst of singing, I managed to lose track of my surroundings.

"You're good," I heard a voice say as I screamed, a flat sound echoing from the piano as my hands slammed onto them, my heart painfully pounding against my chest.

"Fuck," I whispered, placing my hand on my chest to feel my erratic heartbeat. I looked up to see Chase leaned against the doorway, although it was so dark in the room I could barely make out his facial features. Had it not been for his voice, I doubt I would have recognised him at all.

He chuckled a little, and for the first time ever I think I heard a genuine laugh exit that boy's mouth. It wasn't cynical or sarcastic, it was real. "You scared the shit out of me you asshole!"

"Why are you in school so late?" He asked, closing the door of the small practice room and taking a seat besides me.

I grabbed my phone which was on top of the piano, turning it on and taking in the time. It read 6:20pm. "I didn't realise it was so late," I muttered.

"Look how dark it is, and you have the lights off. How do you even play when you can't see anything?" He asked.

"I've memorised the keys, now I just need to feel it," I shrugged. I stared outside and Chase was right, it was pitch black outside, the only source of light coming from the scattered orange lamp posts. It was also the first time that I was properly aware of the loud water droplets colliding with the ground, as it rained heavily and persistently."Wait," I began in realisation, "why are you still here?"