Chapter 12 - Twilight Time

• Dedicated to Everyone who voted for Love You Forever in the Watty's!

Jess woke up with her blankets still pulled over her head.  While she laid in the semi-darkness, the events from the awful night before ran through her mind.  Almost all of it had been terrible, but what happened with Chuck was the worst part.  She could still feel his hand creeping up her leg and the terror when she realized she couldn't stop him. No longer wanting to lie there thinking about it, she pulled off her covers and sat up, intending to go down to breakfast, and then she thought of Annie. 

As excited as Annie had been about Jess going to the movies with Doug, she was bound to ask questions.  How was she going to convince Annie she'd had a good time when she still felt shaken and sick about it?  But what choice did she have, she thought with despair.  It's not like she could stay in her room forever.  She'd just have to do her best.  Getting out of bed with a heavy heart, she went to her wardrobe to get dressed. 

"Good morning, pumpkin," Annie said happily when she came downstairs.  Jess went to her and hugged her tight, enjoying the comfort of her embrace.  When she let go, Annie looked down at her with concern.

"Are you okay," she asked, smoothing Jess's hair back.

"Yes," Jess lied, forcing a smile.  "I'm fine."

"Oh, that's good," Annie replied with relief.  "So?  What did you see?"

"We saw the Elvis Presley movie.  It was swell!"

"That's great!  I told Doug he should take you to see it," Annie said with a broad smile. 

"You did?" Jess said, struggling to keep her smile going as she felt a pain in her chest.

"Boys can be so clueless about these things," she said with a wave of her hand.  "And I know how much you love Elvis.  I'm glad you had a good time," she added kindly. 

"Yeah.  I did!" Jess said, trying to sound cheerful, and turned to the table so she could hide her face. 

Equal amounts of anger and pain coursed through her while she looked out the window at the woods behind the garage.  Why couldn't Doug have just done what he was supposed to and taken her to the movies? If he had, she wouldn't have all these terrible feelings inside her that she couldn't talk about.  Annie set her breakfast of fried eggs, bacon and toast in front of her.  At least this was still comfortingly the same, she thought as she looked at it, trying to make herself feel better.

"It's the last Saturday before school starts," Annie said, taking the frying pan to the sink.  "Are you going out for the day like usual?  I can pack a lunch."

"Yes, thanks Annie," she replied, able to smile a real smile as she thought of Marty.  Spending the day with him was just what she needed. 

As soon as she'd finished eating her breakfast, she got her bathing suit and towel from her room and went out the front door.  With James nowhere in sight, she was soon behind the garage and on her way to the cabin.  As she walked down the path, she immediately felt lighter, knowing she'd see Marty soon and that being with him would help her forget about the night before.

As she remembered the times they'd spent together, it occurred to her that she'd always felt safe with him.  Even when he was angry and suspicious the first time they'd met, she'd sensed he would never try to hurt her.  And now that he'd relaxed around her, he was so much fun to be with.  Marty was a true friend, Jess decided, not the like kinds of friends Doug had.  She would never want to be friends with someone just because they had money or status.  What she shared with Marty was real.  It was much better than the world her uncle and Doug lived in. 

When she entered the clearing, she stopped suddenly, hardly able to believe what she was seeing.  The door to the cabin was closed.  No, she thought with despair.  She needed Marty today.  Fighting against the disappointment as she crossed the clearing, she reminded herself that he'd arrived later than her a few times before.  Just because he wasn't there, didn't mean he wasn't coming.