39. Trust Issues

8 years ago

8 years ago

"What is she doing here?" Jay says to me as I look away from the TV screen, seeing him standing in the doorway. I didn't hear him come back already.

I turn the volume on the TV down a little. "Who? Caitlin?"

"Who else do you think?" he snaps back at me, and I knew then that he was going to be mad at me for what I did, but I wasn't exactly sure why.

"She's here to provide me entertainment as karma takes its course," I state simply as a small smile forms on my face, the thought of beating her bringing me satisfaction. "It wasn't hard to track her down; she should have picked a better nick name...Killer Frost kind of gives it away-"

"You're telling me you've been tracking her all of this time to get revenge?" he says with a little bit of lighter tone, but I could still hear the anger.

I raise my eyebrow. "Are you mad at me for doing what you taught me to do-"

"I'm not mad at you for wanting revenge," he says while crossing his arms. "I'm mad that you went out and did this on your own; you know you're still recovering after what happened last year, and this girl nearly killed you last time-"

"But she didn't this time. I beat her and now I get to watch her suffer behind a glass barrier," I say, a smile no longer on my face. I thought he was going to be at least a little proud of me, but it sounded like it was the complete opposite. "I went and did this on my own; this proves to you that I can do things by myself."

He shakes his head. "I don't care about you proving yourself; I saved your life long ago, Raven. It's an insult to me to see you risking it doing things on your own. It tells me that you don't care that I saved it-"

"I'm grateful for that, Jay, but like you said, she almost killed me. You can't expect me to let her get away with something like that?" I pause for a moment to see if his expression changed, which it hadn't. "I'm sorry for not bringing you into this, but I knew this would be your reaction. I'm old enough now to do things on my own-"

"You're 17, Raven. You aren't even considered a legal adult yet. You listen to my rules and my rules only, you hear me?" he practically shouts at me, making me bite my tongue. I wanted to say so many more things, but I just simply nod my head. "Good. I don't want to lose you too."

I take a deep breath. "You won't."

He simply nods at me then, just before I hear a blood piercing scream come from where Killer Frost was locked away. I exchange a look with Jay before I use my speed to race towards the glass cage, wondering what was happening to her now. It's been a few hours since I last checked up on her; I wanted to let the clock tick down until it got to the more interesting parts, and I was guessing now was that time.

When I stop in front of the glass, I was met with Caitlin lying on the ground curled up in a ball, still screaming at the top of her lungs. I hear Jay stop behind me as we both gaze upon the girl in utter pain. Deep down I felt a pang of strife, only because I knew that I was the person who caused this, but I also felt pride in it. I kept reminding myself that this was the girl who almost killed me; the girl who almost took my life away. This is what she deserved for her actions.