I

2005

"AYE TORYN, YOU READY?" Nineteen year old Sean asked his five year old daughter while typing the shoe laces to his sneakers.

He looked up when he got no response, watching his daughter standing there in a frilly pink floral dress with all kinds of flowers over it. It was Fall and the weather was in the sixties but the wind was still heavy causing a thick white cotton sweater to be placed over the little girl. Her hair was freshly braided, with blue beads on the ends of her hair for decoration. She stood with tears glistening in her eyes as she held a very small plastic bag from Tiffany Jewelry store, containing the gift she picked out for her new friend.

Sean chuckled with a big smile on his face, he put his hand out for his daughter who gladly found her way toward him, rubbing her eyes which did nothing that stopped the tears from falling. He pulled the child between his legs, tilting her chin up. He was starting to think she had some kind of disorder or something. She cried for everything. Then again, she was a very sweet and soft child.

"Aye, come on Tee-Tee, cut that out. Why you always crying. You got the gift for your friend right?"

Toryn quickly nodded her head, gripping the bag in her hand tighter. Sean got the news from one of his old friend's that they were living next door to him. An old friend named Laura, that had been his friend since he was seven. Their mothers had were friends and had introduced them at that age. Ever since then they had been tight and had even went to all of the same schools, except when they hit high school. It's been five years since they've seen each other, so when Laura had suddenly wrote on Facebook where she was living, Sean was surprised it was not only in his neighborhood, but the house right next door.

With how close they were, it would have been nothing for them to meet up right away. But both of them had busy schedules. When he was home Laura was at work, or when she was home he was at work or out doing something else. It seemed time would never compromise with them, but finally after a week, they both found an empty hole in their schedules that allowed them to make time for each other. Sean was even surprised when he found out Laura also had a child. A five year old just like him. Their children even had the same birthday. June 4th, 2000. Laura's son was a morning baby and Toryn was born at night, so the only difference was her son was born a couple hours earlier.

As soon as Sean found out about Laura's son, he took Toryn to the mall and made her pick out a gift. He took her to Tiffany jewelry store and let her get anything she wanted for Laura's son. It might have seemed extra, but he's known Laura forever so it wasn't a big deal for him to go that far in buying real jewelry for her kin. He wanted to pick her up something as well, but she had a man so he didn't think it would be appropriate.

Sean planned on making them hang out and talk to Laura about them attending the same schools and everything since her son was new in the area. He wanted them to be lifelong friends like he and Laura. Especially since Toryn had a lot of issues and didn't really have any friends.