Jaxon

"Jaxon!"

I wince at the sound of my mother screaming my name. "You are so dead," Maia taunts with a smirk.

I toss her a glare before getting up from the couch and walking to my father's office. The door is already open.

"Jaxon how many times do I have to explain the rules to you before you actually start following them?" My mom growls, furiously running her fingers through her mess of curly red hair.

I drag my hands down my face with a groan. "It was an accident—"

"An accident? Jaxon you know you're not allowed to shift during the day!" She seethes.

"I'm sorry, I lost control because Layton was pissing me off. But dad immediately had him sent to the Devil's Circle for confinement and no one else saw so it's okay," I assure her.

Her fiery eyes search mine for several minutes before she finally calms down. The temperature in the room drops instantly.

"Jax you do understand that if this happens again I will take you to the Devil's Circle myself and you will remain there indefinitely right?"

I nod quickly. "I understand mom, I am so sorry about all of this and I will accept any punishment," I say then hold my breath.

"I'm not going to punish you since you know what would happen to our family if someone else saw you."

I let out a heavy sigh of relief. "Thank you," I mutter. "Uh so on a completely different note, where is dad?"

"He had to deal with some unruly prisoners," she says.

"Isn't that your job?" I ask.

She chuckles. "Yes it is, but your dad was tired of letting me have all the fun."

"Ah, okay. Well see you at dinner then," I say, kissing her on the cheek and leaving hurriedly.

As I walk back into the living room, I find myself rubbing my neck. Maia stares at me in shock.

"She didn't kill you?" She asks. I shake my head, shrugging a little.

"Wow, I seriously thought you were going to come back in here crying like last time," she snickers.

I glare at her. "That was about as funny as the time you came back from your first training session with her," I snap.

She purses her lips in annoyance but says nothing more. She turns back to her video game on the tv.

I grab my notebook off the table and pick up the pencil sitting beside it. I flip past dozens of drawings until I reach the one I was working on this morning.

"What's that one?" I hear Maia ask. She glances quickly at me then back at the tv.

"Talon," I tell her. She pauses her game.

"Wait that's Talon? As in mom's dragon?" She asks.

I look at her awed face in confusion for a few moments but then I remember. "You've never seen mom shift have you?"

She shakes her head, admiring my almost-completed drawing. "She only shifts when she goes to the Devil's Circle."

"Oh yeah, she only takes Kaine and I there. I wonder why she doesn't take you?" I murmur, absentmindedly drawing tiny details.