Chapter 22 - "Did you just say swanky?"

Classical music floated through the air as the elevator ascended. Elliot stared at her reflection in the metal doors. She twisted experimentally. The fringe on her silver, short flapper dress danced about her.

"I feel like a chandelier," she said, looking down at the moving layers.

"That's because you look like a chandelier," Cece said, not even looking at Elliot.

She rested against the side of the metal box, her arms crossed, concentrating her, less than contented, expression on the line of numbers. Elliot looked at her sister with a doe-eyed expression. She placed a hand on her heart.

"Awe, that's the nicest thing you have ever said to me."

"Yeah, well don't let it go to your head," Cece said. "You already have too many light bulbs popping up over it with all your ideas, I don't want you turning into a permanent light fixture."

"You have to admit though, it would be convenient if we got stuck in a dark tunnel while escaping the zombie attack."

"There's always Milo, he comes up with enough bright ideas he could light the tunnel."

"Yes, but you forget Milo isn't great under pressure. Could he really come up with enough bright ideas to light a tunnel when we are being chased by a pack of flesh eating zombies?"

"True, I didn't think about that. I guess it's best for you to become the light fixture. Sucks for you, I hear it does terrible things to your figure."

"For our safety it is worth it."

The elevator dinged and the doors slid open. The sound of music, emanating from the furtherest apartment, welcomed them as they stepped off. Cece looked around.

"This is the correct place, right?" she asked.

"Yeah," Elliot said. "Who knew Soso lived in such a swanky place."

Cece looked at her.

"Did you just say swanky?" she asked.

"The dress is getting to me. Let's just move on."

Both girls walked towards the music and rang the bell. Laughter and the sound of voices slipped out into the hallway to entertain them as they waited. The door opened and Soso stood there, her black hair pinned up and wearing a golden flapper dress.

"Hi!" she said. "I'm so glad you could make it!"

"Yup," Elliot said, "So are we."

Soso stepped back and gestured for them to come in. The large apartment was decorated in gold and black streamers. Matching balloons were bunched together in groups and filled every corner and were wrapped around every pillar. The space was packed with people in various stages of 1920's customs. A dance floor had been set up in the center of the living room and was crowded with dancing fringe and grinding bodies. Servers in black and white moved about with trays of champagne and hors d'oeuvres.

"Wow," Cece said, looking around. "What is this?"

Soso laughed.

"My mom is a party planner," she said. "So when I told her I wanted to throw Milo's birthday party she insisted on taking over. Isn't it great?"

"Gatsby would be pleased," Cece said.

Soso seemed to glow under the compliment. Her gaze darted to the presents in Elliot and Cece's hands and she reached for them.

"I can take these, you go and enjoy yourself," she said. "Milo is somewhere."

She walked off, leaving Elliot and Cece standing in the tiled entryway.