Chapter 31: Winter Stays

IGNORE ALL ERRORS

Chapter 31: Winter Stays 

Marie set me up with a bunch a tutors. I had one for English and History, another for trig, and lastly one for chemistry. I didn't know how I was going to be taking chemistry, since many labs were involved in the class, but Marie probably had that all set up. Knowing her, there was probably a whole chemistry lab in the garage already.

Carl went back to school that weekend, which didn't really effect me, except for the fact that the place felt insanely lonely all of a sudden. I knew Carl was not a huge fan of me, and I could understand why, but I didn't realize how much his presence actually had on me.

"I'm heading back, Winter," Carl said to me. I turned from looking out the window, my knew habit, and saw him standing against my doorway with a duffel in his hand.

"See you in a week," I replied with an attempted smile. It felt weird having him go off to school and me staying at home. We usually drove to school together.

Carl nodded. "I want you to get better." He stared at me with his matching eyes. "You know that right?" His hands slid into the pockets of his pants.

I shrugged and sat on the edge of my bed, the bed sinking under my weight. "I guess I should say thank you for letting me stay home."

Carl shook his head. He joined me on my bed, staring at his knees. "I'm going to trust you from now on, but you have to talk to me. That's my only exception."

"Okay," I whispered. "I'm sorry, about everything." My eyes shifted to his stomach. I didn't know what took over me when I hurt him. He had to have realized that my intentions were never to hurt him. It was a freak accident. I barely even remembered why I did it. One second we were eating dinner after the funeral, it was some meal one of Dad's employees made us. The next second I had Carl's blood on me. Marie was screaming. I was screaming. The sirens were screaming.

Carl saw my gaze and smiled. "It makes for a good story." My eyes widened. Did the story spread that I was the one who gave him the scar? "Relax," Carl laughed. "I like to pretend I got it during a fight. It makes the guys think I'm tougher than I look." He nudged my side as I let out a breath of relief. "We'll have a nice Christmas break, Winter. I'm sure Jason's family would have us over if we ask."

I shook my head immediately. "I don't think that's a good idea, Carl."

Carl took my hand into his. "I think he'll forgive you, Winter. Nobody can be mad at somebody they love for long."

"Jace doesn't love me."

"Okay." Carl stood and tapped my foot. "Be smart, Winter. Don't go all psycho again."

My eyes rolled and I laughed. "You better get out of here before Queen Bitch comes back."

Carl smiled. "See ya, Winter."

"Bye Carl."

. . .

Marie and I ate dinner that night in the kitchen. It felt like forever since I ate a meal sitting down at the table. The table seemed a lot bigger when it was only me and Marie at the table. Lydia made us grilled chicken and mashed potatoes. It must have been weird for Marie to be served by Lydia. I grew up having people serving me, but Marie used to be serving me. I could have only imagined the wild transition, going from nanny to legal guardian.

Marie drank wine during our meal, which she usually offered me as well but didn't this time. I understood why. She didn't need a depressed alcoholic kid.

"How have you been feeling?" Marie asked, taking a bite of her chicken. Her voice was light. She smiled like everything was okay.

"Fine," I replied. She watched me like a hawk, trying to find a sign saying otherwise. Her eyes didn't leave my hands, her smile still glued on her lips.