chapter 18

My body flinched momentarily from the cold water making contact with my face. Blinking my eyes open, I patted my cheeks lightly and stared at my reflection in the mirror. Strands of hair stuck out messily and my eyes were puffy, exhaustion evident on them.

I immediately went out of the bathroom after concluding that I looked the most presentable I could be with my current state. As I held on the doorknob, I heard Taehyung's muffled voice, and I assumed by the liveliness of it, he was talking to Aeri.

Feeling a block of weight leaving my chest, a grin slowly formed on my lips. At least I had been assured that Aeri was having a chirpy morning today.

I quickly glanced up at the wall clock as I turned the knob. Taehyung should be on his way now if he didn't want to be late. Could he be waiting for me? I hope not.

When the door flew open, I expected to see Taehyung in his work clothes, ready to take his leave. Instead, he was wearing casual clothes whilst leaning on Aeri's crib as he interacted with her.

My eyes met with Aeri's and I curled my lips upwards. When she let out a gummy smile, giving me her full attention, Taehyung whirled around to face me.

It still felt awkward. I wasn't sure how I should face him. Should I act like nothing had happened and things were as per norm?

"Aren't you running late?" Instead of greeting him a good morning, those words somehow slipped out absentmindedly. I mentally frowned, scratching the side of my cheek and took steps closer to the two.

Taehyung flashed a toothy smile and combed my hair with his fingers, pushing them flat on either sides. I was not sure if I should find it weird or just be thankful that he was being his usual perky self.

"You're skipping work, and I'm staying with you and Aeri today," said Taehyung. "I also told Somi she could take a day off."

I simply nodded my head whilst his hands still on top. They landed on my shoulders shortly, and Taehyung spun me around—an action he'd grew fond of lately as I'd noticed. He led me to the kitchen and sat me down. In front of me laid half burnt pancakes, uneven sunny side eggs (also overcooked on the sides) and a safe looking sandwich.

A snort escaped without permission as I shook my head, and I glanced up at Taehyung, who only kept his radiant smile on. He knew he had done well. Minus the cooking part, perhaps.

Nevertheless, we dug in and despite having no conversation, the atmosphere was light, a tranquil mood enveloping us.

Although that was a bit short lived due to the fact that Aeri's wail began piercing through the walls.

Alarmed, I glanced over my shoulders, about to stand up until Taehyung interrupted me and left me in the kitchen. He came back seconds after with Aeri, swaying her as she cried.

I hate to admit it but I grew fond of seeing them together like this. Well... not that I wanted Aeri to cry all the time.

"Can I hold her?" I asked with a small smile, and Taehyung's brows shot up momentarily—As if he didn't get it why I had to ask when the answer was pretty obvious.

"Sure."

I slumped Aeri on my shoulder, patting her back to quiet her down as Taehyung returned to his seat across me.

"It's okay, mommy's here," I whispered to her ears. "Mommy loves little Aeri," I sang.

A few seconds later, Aeri calmed down, thankfully. She threw her head back and pushed herself apart with her arms as she made eye contact with me. Her gaze wandered to every part of my face as if she were studying me, trying to find out what was wrong. Did she perhaps feel it?