Tatlumput-dalawa

K a r o l i i n a

"They're surrounded. There's slim chance that they'll survive."

That is the rumour that travels around the compound. It's been four days since Eric is sent off to the Factionless territory. Four days of feeling pain and worry and longing in my part.

Every day is a chaos of emotions, all whirling into one giant, bundle of mess. Often times I find myself just staring out into oblivion, thinking about--no, worrying about Eric. My chest constricts and aches and gets that heavy feeling whenever I visualise him.

"Ms. Parconn," My eyes snap up to meet those of terrified ones. A girl, no older than thirteen, shakily delvers her message, "Max wants to see you."

~

Max' office screams power. It screams of punishment if ever you do something he doesn't like.

But, that didn't matter to me right now.

"How come you're here?" I straight up ask him as soon as I walk inside his office, "How come you're here when Eric is probably fighting for his life?"

He looks bewildered at the fact that I basically just disrespected him, but his words don't give away any emotion he is feeling.

"Eric is one of our best fighters," He says with a blank expression, "I'm sorry, he is the best fighter Dauntless has. He is needed on the field."

My hands clench into fists, "Flattery will not get you anywhere."

"I'm not going to hide the truth," He ignores me as he says this, "Dauntless is failing and those out there at the battlefield need help. Fast."

"Then why are you still here?" My voice quivers, "When you should be out there, helping them?"

"If I leave, no one will manage the compound--"

"There are tonnes of people at your beck and call, ready to assist you if you wish so," I interrupt him, "You're a coward."

Silence engulfs us, my deep breathing only the sound being heard. Releasing an angered sigh, I speak, "When do you plan on sending back-ups?"

"Tomorrow, early at dawn." 

Turning my back, I leave his suffocating office and head towards the armoury.

~

"What are you doing?"

Sammy appears on my line of vision as I am packing away guns into bags. His eyebrows are raised, his face contorted into a confused expression, "Why are you packin' up guns like there's no tomorrow?"

"I'm going to battle, Sammy." I give the news to him in a joking manner, "Care to join me?"

"Battle?" He echoes whilst walking closer and helping me place the guns inside the bags, "What battle?"

Poor man. He didn't know. "Battle against Factionless."

"What in the hell are you talking about, missy?"

I pat him gingerly on the arm, "No need to concern yourself, Sammy. Wish me luck, yeah?"

Knowing I have to leave, I let my legs carry me out of the armoury and let my hands grasp the heavy bags. 

Wish me luck, indeed.

~

I did not get a wink of sleep last night.

I was so restless, and all I could do was toss in bed all night long. The thought of going into battle when I barely passed the physical stage when I was an initiate wracked me with nervousness.

As a result, I'm looking like someone who's done a quick sniff of drugs before coming and waiting for the train to arrive.

I puff out a breath. Desperate times call for desperate measures. I need a guarantee that Eric is safe, and participating in the fight is that guarantee.

 "Scared?"

I look beside me, and I'm surprised to see Jeno. Lifting an eyebrow, I ask, "What are you doing here?"

"Fighting for my faction, of course." He shrugs. 

It's awkward for a few seconds before he clears his throat, "I'm sorry for the uh--you know, the..."

"It's fine." I respond lamely. A pregnant pause falls upon us again.

"You're trembling."

I tighten my jacket around me, "It's the cold."

"Everybody else is wearing a damn fucking vest."

My hands drop to my sides, defeated. I am indeed scared, really scared, that when I'll see the train I'll probably chicken out and go back home. 

Jeno sighs, "It's normal to be scared."

"I'm not scared... just apprehensive."

He snorts and gives me a look that says how much he believed me. Sarcasm is evident in his tone as he retorts, "Yeah. You're so brave, aren't you?"

Yeah, I think, I'm the most fearful and coward human there is. 

A loud whistle is heard along with the sound of wheels against the tracks. Behind Jeno, I pick up my bags and enter the train with wild and untamed thoughts.

~

I wanted to write Eric's pov, but I'm lazy and lame so I decided to post his pov next chapter :<