The Checkup

Kate screamed as she nearly avoided Jayson’s grasp and ran upstairs.

“You are going to pay for that Kate!” Jayson yelled as he laughed and ran after Kate.

It all started when Kate applied a purple lipstick and Jayson passed a comment saying it looked like she had cyanosis which led to Kate switching the sugar with salt in Jay’s coffee.

Jayson caught up with her as she stood bent over at the top of the stairs.

“Hey what happened?” Jayson grimaced as the after taste of the salted coffee lingered in his mouth.

Just a moment” Kate said as she tried to catch her breath.

“Come on. I will make coffee this time. You are going to be late for work.” Jayson said. He himself got a message last night from Mr. Banks. The French designer had come and today they were going to figure out a design for the engagement ring.

Jayson grabbed Kate’s hand and they walked back to the kitchen. Kate still had trouble stabilizing her breathe.

“Kate” Jayson said reluctantly, not knowing how to approach it without bringing the past into it.

Kate fixated her violet orbs at him as she wiped the counter top where Jay had spit out the salted coffee.

“You got a checkup done right?”

“For what?”

“After the.. …the miscarriage..the baby..” Jayson winced at the memory.
Kate turned her back to him as she made fresh coffee.

“The doctor told me that you had a problem with your body’s oxygen and it is perfectly curable.” Jayson came around the counter and pulled her by the shoulder so she was now facing him.

“Kate…look at me…” He gently said as he lifted her chin up.

“You went to a doctor and got treated after you left NYC didn’t you?” he hoped with his entire being that she would say yes.
Kate simply shook her head. Jayson
felt anger rise inside him but tried to control it. How could she not get herself check up? How could she take such a risk? He stepped back from her and pinched the bridge of his nose.
Kate gulped as she saw Jayson trying to control his anger.

I am sorry Jay. It just didn’t come up and I had so much other stuff going on…”

“How can you forget about this?! What about now? What if we slip up and you get pregnant again? What will I do?! Do you even understand the pain of having to choose between your love and your child?!” Jayson yelled and Kate flinched.

Kate kept quiet because she knew she was at fault. After they got back together again, it entered her mind a couple of times to get a checkup but it always took a backseat in her mind.

“Call in your work and tell them you won’t be coming in today. We are going to the doctor” Jayson said and stormed out of the kitchen. Jayson was furious now. Both of them were at fault. He simply presumed she must have gotten treatment because that was the logical thing to do but still he should have asked her.

Jayson dialed his secretary number and she answered on the second ring.

“Good morning Mr. Reynolds”

“Good morning. Clear out my afternoon and push the morning meeting with Mr. Banks to the afternoon. I have a family emergency. I will come in after I am done meeting up with Mr. Banks. If anything urgent comes up text me and schedule it for the evening.”

“Okay sir.”

Jayson hung up and grabbed his suit jacket and went back downstairs. Kate was sitting on the couch and stood up when he came down the stairs.

She raised her hand to sign but Jayson cut her off.

“Not now” He said and strolled past her. Kate hurried to keep pace with him.

Kate didn’t know what to do and she hated the fact that he wasn’t even looking at her. She glanced at him and immediately looked down. His jaw was taut and his green eyes were blazing

“Damn.” Kate thought as the elevator opened and Jayson strode out. Kate barely kept pace with his long strides.

Peter was waiting with the car parked outside and Jayson held the door open for Kate as she silently slid and he got in after her. Jayson was trying so hard to keep a lid on his temper but the thought that if he didn’t brought this up today would she have gone to the doctor or told him? What if she got pregnant? Jayson closed his eyes at that thought and ran his hands through his hair. This was sheer torture.

Kate looked at Jay as he kept his elbows on his thighs and covered his face with his hands. Kate reached out to touch his hand but decided against it and pulled back.

They reached the hospital, the same one where they parted ways two years ago. Jayson held open the door for Kate and followed her in.

“Is Dr. Greene available?” Jayson asked the receptionist.

“Let me check. One moment please” the receptionist said as she looked up the doctor’s schedule.

Kate looked around and the memories of that time came crashing back. Couldn’t they have gone to any other doctor? Kate reached for Jayson’s hand and he held it and squeezed it. Relief surged through her heart.

Jayson held onto Kate’s had very well knowing what she was going through. Even he was in the memory loop. He didn’t want to come here but Dr. Greene was one of the best and he already had Kate’s tests and previous file.

“Please wait for 10 minutes. Dr. Greene has just finished his rounds. He will be with you shortly”

“Okay” Jayson said. Soon they were called in to the office. Kate had a death drip on his hand throughout only letting go when she needed to tell something.

“Alright, Ms. Anderson, the treatment would take three months. During these months you have to reduce your physical exertion and that includes abstinence from sexual activity as well. We will repeat tests after every one month and you will be well on the way to recovery. If you have any question please be free to ask” Dr. Greene said as he kept the file down which had Kate’s previous test along with the ones they got done now.
Jayson looked at Kate.

Our child will be safe during future pregnancies?” Kate signed to Jayson and he asked that to the doctor.

“You both don’t need to worry. Once we are done with this treatment you will have to wait for six months and after that you can conceive if that is what you plan. You will be healthy Ms. Anderson” Dr. Greene said as he smiled at the couple and handed them the prescription.

“Thank you so much doctor” Jayson said as he took the prescription and left the office.

Kate felt relieved at the doctor’s word but Jayson was still distant to her. He was still angry.

They took the medicines and headed back to the penthouse.

Peter parked the car outside and stepped out to open the door for Kate. She looked at Jayson as he sat there not moving.

“I have work that needs to be handled at the office. Don’t wait up for me.”
Kate simply nodded trying to control her tears and stepped out of the car.
-----------------------------------------------------------
Stella paced her bedroom. Kiara had come but had immediately left as she got an urgent message from one of her friends. They had barely talked and it just felt awkward.

“I have to fix things with my future sister in law” Stella thought as she tried to think of something else. Kiara was a sure shot plan that would have her near Jayson all the time and Stella genuinely missed Kiara. She had always been a good friend.

“But first of all I need a professional to keep tabs on that stammering bitch and my JJ” She thought as she turned on her laptop.