29. Restless Nights and Vampires

I move through the cabin in a haze, vaguely acknowledging Damon's strong hand on my back. My mind spins, worry clouding my every sense. He leads me up the stairs, directing me towards a room I believe to be his. How long I have yearned to know more about his life, and now, even as I stand in his space I take in nothing.

   He speaks to me, words of assurance, but I am unable to focus. I force a smile, my lips quivering ever so slightly, hopping that I don't look as terrified as I feel. His eyes devour me, noticing my every hesitation, yet thankfully says nothing.

  A movement over his shoulder draws my attention. I glance to see Leo's scrutinizing watch from the stairway. Of course, he wants to be sure I am truly trapped. A lump forms in my throat, my body shivering at the thought. Trapped, helpless to stop what ever might come.

  Damon reaches out to hold me, but I flinch away. I fear I will collapse with even the softest of his touch. I already know he hates this situation, maybe even more than I. If I show how distraught I truly feel, I just know he will refuse to leave me overnight.

  "I'll be fine," I manage to croak, but it does little to ease the worry in Damon's eyes.

  "Just call if you need anything," Damon instructs, stepping towards me once more. This time I do not pull away as his body stops just inches from mine, tempting me with his heat and the possibility of comfort. "I promise, I will hear you." He whispers, his breath caressing my cheek.

  I nod, no longer trusting my voice as tears threaten my eyes. What if this is the last time I get to see him? What if these are one of my last moments as a human?

  I bite my lip, suppressing the emotions that rage inside me. No matter how I try, his penetrating gaze sees right through my attempts. His eyes soften as he leans in, hesitating just above my skin. I still, my body tensing in anticipation for his touch.

  "You will be all right." Damon assures me, his lips grazing my forehead with the faintest hint of a kiss. "Get some rest." He instructs, moving away before I get a chance to fully comprehend his actions.

  As the door closes behind him, I finally allow my tears to fall. Once alone I feel all remaining strength drain away from me, the cold clutching at my shivering body. Falling to the bed, I take little comfort in the soft blanket that engulfs me. My body convulses with my violent sobs, only growing stronger as I hear something heavy being moved in front of the door.

  I bury my head in the pillow, pleading for it to swallow my cries. I do not wish for anyone to be able to hear me, but the fear in side does not allow me to stop.

-------------Damon's POV-------------

  Her cries, muffled as they are, echo in my ears. I clench my jaw, my body tense and on edge as every whimper stabs me in the heart. I feel my short nails digging into my palms, my hands clenched at my side in attempt to control the anger boiling within me. I feel the need to run to her, to destroy anything that makes her weep as she does.

  Being unable to makes me feel useless, and in turn full of rage. Every molecule in my being screaming to thrash out. To run up those stairs and shred the dresser blocking her escape. To gather her in my arms and promise her the safety she so deserves.

  But I can't... or rather, I shouldn't

  She pulled away, not wanting my touch. Pain pierces through me, her face fresh in my mind. Her deep green eyes glistened as her fear shone through them, betraying her attempt at a brave face. Part of me broke to see so much dismay being held behind her trembling. I couldn't even manage to comfort her.